Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using camera on an eyepiece help

Does anyone know why the view through a camera attached to an eyepiece would show less than the visual view? Do I need more of an extension tube? And how do I know how much of an extension I would need?

I'm attaching a LUMIX G7 to Celestron ultima duo eyepieces. I have the T-mount to M4/3 converter. I can see all of the moon in the 21mm visually, but only about 2/3 of that with the camera.

If you do that you will probably not be able to get focus.  Forget the EP and connect your camera directly to the scope.  I'm not sure what the visual back situation of the 6SE but there will be a way of connecting your camera directly to it using a T2 connection I'm sure.  Somebody with that scope will be along shortly.

9 minutes ago, Trumpetnut said:

Nexstar 6SE. My thinking is that if I move the camera further from the eyepiece it will then see more of what I would see visually. Is that wrong? Probably. But, why?

If you move the camera away from the eyepiece you will increase the magnification not decrease it. Without the eyepiece you should be able to fit the moon onto the cameras sensor. Just connect the camera body to the visual back of the telescope using the t ring.

So moving it closer would make the moon fit? I don't suppose there is a thinner T to M4/3 adaptor, is there? Mine is about 20mm deep.

I understand about using the scope as basically a telephoto lens, but I like the idea of using the camera with the eyepieces, especially for double stars (experimenting with the 4K video stacking process) and framing open clusters with a focal reducer. And I've invested now so want to get the best use from them.

Archived