Truss tube shield from bits and bobs

JOC

So the telescope is out of action (Still) and I had some spare time on my hands today.  I've seen online the astrozap shield that goes around the 200P truss tube and have had a fancy that I could make something similar so I've been collecting materials.  For years in my cupboard I've had a sheet of nylon designed to go on the back seat of a car never been used.  In the garage I found an old fan belt!  Mum had some decent sized press studs, a bag of assorting cords and a sewing machine and the pictures below show the result.  I don't quite know how this might improve the telescope, but as they make such a contraption it must do something.  At the moment the knobs on the telescope are covered, but so far I haven't found that I've really used them. If I find I need them I'll cut an indentation and hem around it.  The nylon is three thicknesses and the rigidity is provided with the fan belt which is inserted into the structure.  All in all it cost about £3 which is what the charity shop sticker says I paid for the nylon sheet.  It collapses with the telescope like the official one does.  It's daft - normally I hate sewing unless I'm making something interesting.  I am debating whether to change the red cord to a black one if I find one, but a the moment its a useful guide to get it on my preferred way up.

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3643.JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

make sure it doesn't obstruct the light path at all

I was concerned about that aspect.  The bits of fan belt are doing a reasonable job of holding it open and I think as I get used to putting it on I will find how best to iron out the wrinkles that could occur on the inside.  If I find too many problems I've also found a sprung circle of fine wire in the garage that I could also insert to make it slightly more rigid along its length.

2 hours ago, JOC said:

So the telescope is out of action

perhaps not totally ? I didnt realise that it was only a bit of the mount that had to go away, but seeing your pic. I had (silly?) thoughts about furniture dolleys / trolleys, or a board on top of cup-castor-sliders ! Not for high power viewing, just low power scanning of the skies, comet hunting etc. ( Watch out Lovejoy ! :) )

Now I have had another idea - you scan the sky up and down, then go indoors for a cuppa, meanwhile the sky rotates a bit and when you come back out you can scan another strip up and down ! Howzat !!

Should I get my coat ? >> 

8 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

the sky rotates a bit

Do we need a pedant here? ;-)

Seriously, yes, I guess I could still get some up and down out of the telescope, I am just slightly mindful that I don't want to strain the right angleness of the 'three sides of a box' structure than remains - without the base there is nothing to stop the sides from splaying open.   The two pegs the telescope sits on aren't very wide and it's only held on by a single screw on the other side, if I'm being careful with it I can still park the telescope on it as you can see in the pictures and I'm still storing the telescope vertically in the lump that remains, but I'd have to be careful that I didn't give the whole lot an enthusiastic shove sideways in error if I got carried away in the dark!  As you say what I could probably use is a trolley with casters - I'll have to see if I've got one lurking anywhere. 

I'm please you are all liking the cover - I'd looked at proper 'boning' that you can get for dresses in fabric shops to hold it open, but the old engine belt did a far better job!

NB.  Many thanks for who-ever stuffed this in the DIY section - I didn't know where it fitted, it didn't seem good enough to qualify for DIY astronomy!

1 hour ago, JOC said:

NB.  Many thanks for who-ever stuffed this in the DIY section - I didn't know where it fitted, it didn't seem good enough to qualify for DIY astronomy!

Not guilty, but you did 'do it yourself', and it was astro related so seems fair enough :)  

We don't have a sewing section anyway ;) 

2 hours ago, JOC said:

Do we need a pedant here? ;-)

:thumbsup:  :D  :hello2::hello2::hello2:

I do like a good bit of pedantry :)

Yes, good point about being careful of the structural stability, hopefully it wont be long before your bits are returned , , ,  But the thought of you pining away,  or suffering withdrawals, , , ,  so fingers etc  xxed.

Archived