Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flocking finishing touches

Astronut

Can anyone suggest or recommend an ultra matt black non-reflective permanent marker or non-spray paint?

I'm in the process of completing my flocking modifications and need some ultra matt black non-reflective goo or paint for the finishing touches ie. secondary edge and all those tube interior nuts and bolt ends.

I'm reluctant to flock the secondary edge as it will increase the central obstruction % (albeit slightly) but mainly because it's damn difficult to cut the flocking paper to the correct shape to fit the edge without applying it first and then trimming (which invites disaster ie. accidently scratching the mirror surface with the trimming blade).

I'm in a bit of a hurry to get the job finished before Thursday (28 Aug '08) for the Wiltshire star bash so if there's anything available at a local hardware store like B&Q or something that would be ideal as I've run out of time to order online.

Thanks in eager anticipation

Ian

I heard blackboard paint is good - B&Q do it usually.

Failing that I have used some black matt enamel from Halfoird recently and thats VERY black and dull in finish so I would have thought it would be find for small bits like bolt heads - also Halford do small pots of it - like about 1" high and round so you dont have to buy too much. It dries superfast as well.

Hope thats of some help

Thanks for the suggestions. I've had a quick google re. blackboard paint/'scope mods and it seems to be a popular choice. Focus DIY stock it so I'll pop out and get a small tin and a fine brush while I'm at it :)

Job done :thumbright:

Painting the secondary edge is a bit nervewracking especially the edge nearest the focuser which is at a 45 deg angle from the mirror face as opposed to the far edge which is 135 deg angle and the top and bottom edges (as seen from the focuser) at 90 deg. I painted the back first (no danger there) just to get a feel for the process and painted the edge with carefull strokes of the brush running from the back edge to the mirror face edge.

It seems to be dry already but I'll leave it overnight and one coat will do. It's has a dull black finish as expected - not quite as black as the flocking paper but it's a significant improvement on bare glass. It begs the question why manufacturers don't blacken secondary edges as standard but I suppose it keeps the costs down.

It begs the question why manufacturers don't blacken secondary edges as standard but I suppose it keeps the costs down.

Synta (Skywatcher) could always use that black so called grease they are fond of dumpiing in the EQ6's :laughing2:

I have seen something where you place the secondary face down on some tissue paper and then spray it black from above VERY LIGHTLY - just a mere dusting, then repeat until its all black on its edges. I have to say that scares the hell out of me and when I flock the tube and do the secondary I'll hand paint it OR use the flocking paper around it.

Yes "Astrobaby," I hand painted the secondary on my Skywatcher 8" Newt using a proprietry matt black from "B&Q" and it seemed to go OK - couldn't tell whether it made that much difference. It's difficult to rememeber what the views were like before I flocked the tube and painted the secondary! (I would think it must have improved the views - if only slightly).

It's always a "nervy" time when doing anything which involves taking a scope apart!

Regards,

philsail1

I didn't need to flock my semi-gloss interior REVELATION 8 when it arrived. Instead, I sprayed it with matt black car paint called HYCOAT (I hope I've spelt it right!) and it truly is matt black.

All the other brands of "matt black" paints I've used in the past, including blackboard paint, never gave a really matt black finish.

I've also been looking around for a flat matt black paint, the best so far is Simoniz acrylic matt black bought from a car accessory shop, sounds like its a similar product to what Merlin has used. I've tried it on a piece of pre-painted metal and it seems OK. It's certainly flatter than other matt paints.

Mixed reviews for blackboard paint then!

Archived