NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

starsense and cpc 800

anyone else having issues with celestron skyportal and starsense.after the first time using it last year in winter with success,im now at the point of pullijg my hair out.

after setting the scope up (cpc800) with starsense and skyportal,after it says alignment successful,anything i send it to isnt even in the fov.

checked time,date,loc,daylight saving on...still no joy.

The CPC scopes have built in GPS. I just point mine manually to say Jupiter or a star. Switch on. It will then ask me if I want to do a one star align  or planetary align.

I then pick out the star or planet that I have just aligned the scope to. It will say  aligned . This is just with scope on its own. No Starsence. U can then do a Sync on the

planet or star to make to mount track better. Give this a try without the Starsence.

10 hours ago, Stu said:

How close is it? Is the target in your Finder?

after doing an automatic alignment with starsense. and skyportal on my phone,i get alignment successful,first item i send it to after alignment isnt even in my fov.

date and time correct,location correct,daylight saving is on and still no joy

5 hours ago, Grotemobile said:

The CPC scopes have built in GPS. I just point mine manually to say Jupiter or a star. Switch on. It will then ask me if I want to do a one star align  or planetary align.

I then pick out the star or planet that I have just aligned the scope to. It will say  aligned . This is just with scope on its own. No Starsence. U can then do a Sync on the

planet or star to make to mount track better. Give this a try without the Starsence.

i used to do that at first but then wanted the starsense and skyportal app,if i go back to that way then there was no point in buying it,i need to find out why its not working correctly.

I would remove the sky portal completely from the scope then test out with just the starsense.

Test if you can you get a correct alignment using just starsense and then you know the problem was the sky portal.

if you bought the starsense second hand then do a "restore defaults" from the handset before you begin your testing. See page 26 of manual.

starsense should work fine with the CPC, it does with mine. There is a menu option "time location source" on the starsense handset to tell it to get the date time from the gps module on the scope. (See page 24). You also need to allow a pause when initiating the alignment for the scope to pick up the data from the gps module. If you see the scope prompting for the date time then just do nothing and wait for it to connect to the gps and then it will just move to the alignment screen without you doing anything.

finally, make sure you are outside when you are testing, the scope needs to be able to connect to the satellites overhead.

Alan

Archived