SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does it make sense TAK106ED + Quark?

Herra Kuulapaa

Hi guys, valuable information and opinions are once again greatly appreciated :)

Does it make sense combining TAK106ED (with baader ERF) and Quark? Options would be either f/5 - 530mm or f/8 - 840mm (with 1.6 extender). F/5 setup would be too fast I think, but how about the f/8 one?

I use my Quark with f5 , f7.5, f9.5 with a 2inch erf screwed into the wedge. with the ed80 f7.5 I sometimes use a 50% reducer screwed into the ccd to get wider shots too, I'm not so lucky to have a Tak but thay behave the same as most fracs.  clear skys, charl.

so the Taks  Quad then , heres me thinking its a double, or is it one with elements in the focuser, I know you shouldn't use a quark with oil spaced fracs or ones with lenses in the focuser because of heat build up, but don't know if a infront ERF would make it safe but there real pricey and sometimes have to be custom made. charl.

16 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

so the Taks  Quad then , heres me thinking its a double, or is it one with elements in the focuser, I know you shouldn't use a quark with oil spaced fracs or ones with lenses in the focuser because of heat build up, but don't know if a infront ERF would make it safe but there real pricey and sometimes have to be custom made. charl.

I haven't memorised the specs, but you should be able to look them up on the Tak site easily enough.

1 hour ago, Herra Kuulapaa said:

Hi guys, valuable information and opinions are once again greatly appreciated :)

Does it make sense combining TAK106ED (with baader ERF) and Quark? Options would be either f/5 - 530mm or f/8 - 840mm (with 1.6 extender). F/5 setup would be too fast I think, but how about the f/8 one?

Those ballistics photos on your website are tremendous, by the way.

Does the Quark use a front surface energy rejection filter?  i.e. over the front objective telescope?  If not, definitely not to be used with a petzval scope like the FSQ which has a doublet upfront and another at the rear near the focuser.  The heat build up on the rear elements would not be desirable for the long term health of the Takahashi.

EDIT: Whoops, just re-read your original post, see you are using the Baader ERF up front.  Certainly reduces the risk considerably.  Someone who knows the precise answer will be along shortly no doublt

I have to say that my understanding of using a Quark with a Petzval design is that you shouldn't! The 106ED is a lovely instrument so tread very carefully here because its loveliness doesn't extend to use as a doorstop .....

12 minutes ago, Herra Kuulapaa said:

But it doesn't matter what the design is as long as you keep the energy out entering the scope with nice and "cheap" Baader ERF, right? Or am I missing something with the design?

You can't use a cheap ERF you need an EXPENSIVE ERF £1000 +

Dave

• 1 month later...

Archived