Horsehead/Flame Nebula

Managed to get 30mins of RGB each few nights ago to add to 60mins that I got with my H-alpha Filter. This is my first attempt at this image and only my 3rd attempt at imaging with my Atik 460. Overall I was quite happy with my HaRGB image but as you can see the stars are a big problem. I think this is because I was stretching the H-alpha data to bring out detail. I would be grateful for any advice regarding controlling the stars better although I do realise that I have limited data.(A big problem given the cloudy skies here in Fife)

Horsehead Nebula.jpg

That's a stunning image. 

To try control the stars i use layer mask. 

I'll try to explain my procedure in photoshop. 

1. Stretch partially to get some details till you are satisfied with the star size.

2.  Duplicate that layer, then create a layer mask.  Go to select menu,  select all,  go to edit menu copy.  Hold alt and left click on the white layer mask rectangle,  it will select it, paste the data into it. 

3 go to image menu,  adjustments,  select invert. 

4 image mebu,  adjustments,  levels.  Move the dark point slider to the right and you'll see the stars begin to become black and the wider the radius. 

5 alt click click back to the data rectangle and process it using the image,  adjustments menu. 

Hope  you understand my explanation.  You have to play with the levels with the inverted layer mask to get to where you like it. 

7 hours ago, MikeCM said:

Tried your suggestion Atreta and certainly made a big difference - see attached. Thanks for the help

Horsehead Nebula.jpg

Very nice, i repeat the process some times. Like merging the masked layer with another copy of the original one,  then repeat it all again.  I just did that in last image i posted.

looking forward to see more pictures from you. 

Archived