SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Opinions on Celestron OMNI Plossls

Moonshane

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

laudropb that's a shame.  These days it doesn't look as though they stock eyepieces at all.  Oh, well nice idea I guess and at least the bank balance lives to fight another day!

I've done some thinking and feel a pair of 10mm Baader Classic Orthos will be an all round better solution at the short bino end.

I am only really considering lunar and possibly planetary. With my 2.6x GPC they will give 234x with my 120ed which is plenty. With my 15mm Plossls I get 156x which will almost always be useful.

I have bought one for now and will try  it against the Celestron X cell lx 12mm and 9mm I have just bought and see what I prefer before buying a second of anything.

I like the eye relief of the 10mm BCO and selling the 12mm X cel I have raised almost enough for a pair of 12mm (actually I believe 12.5mm) Celestron Omni plossls so have gone for those. Talk about fickle! Not really like me but I should have known and gone with my initial instinct.

52 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I like the eye relief of the 10mm BCO

Agreed. The volcano top of 10mm BCO makes much better useful ER than many longer ER with recessed eye lens.

The very good scatter control in 10 BCO makes it an excellent Solar and planetary EP.:wink:

On 2017-03-07 at 13:25, Moonshane said:

I've done some thinking and feel a pair of 10mm Baader Classic Orthos will be an all round better solution at the short bino end.

I am only really considering lunar and possibly planetary. With my 2.6x GPC they will give 234x with my 120ed which is plenty. With my 15mm Plossls I get 156x which will almost always be useful.

I have bought one for now and will try  it against the Celestron X cell lx 12mm and 9mm I have just bought and see what I prefer before buying a second of anything.

Nice choices Shane!

Does the merge get more difficult using the higher mag eyepieces? I found that when merging the hvy 12.5mm eyepieces everything has to be right- a bit of a loose focuser drawtube induced enough movement to prevent a consistent merge. Once tightened the merge was good.

The light orthos are a better choice than my hvy EP's I think but the shorter FL's still might present merging issues, but of course this is observer dependent. Binos have given me the best view of solar system objects period :thumbsup: to the point I'm selling off some mono equipment.

Archived