Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Markarian's Chain, TEC 140.

ollypenrice

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Nice Olly, have you been on a galaxy count yet?  I hope to have another go at this and see how going deeper helps.

Nice work with the colour, really struggled with that here.

Paddy

Sara kindly sent me a plate solve of it. You're welcome to post it, S!

Olly

31 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Feel free, but Sara's found a mind bending number right across the frame.

Olly

Thanks Olly. When I said missed a few, I was under calling somewhat I admit!! Quite amazing.

Out of interest, I know you said you didn't know how much difference more data would make, I was just wondering what would happen if you did a 'Hubble deep field' with it and chucked say 100 hours at this? Do you think you would end up going much deeper in terms of the faint galaxies which could be pulled out of the noise?

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Out of interest, I know you said you didn't know how much difference more data would make, I was just wondering what would happen if you did a 'Hubble deep field' with it and chucked say 100 hours at this? Do you think you would end up going much deeper in terms of the faint galaxies which could be pulled out of the noise?

I know what the theory says, which is that SN goes as the square root of the exposure. My comment was really about the quality of the images of the main 'chain' galaxies which was what the image was initially about. Since there is not likely to be too much pressure on the TEC next new moon (but I can never be sure about that in advance) it might be interesting to try going deeper. The trick would be to stick to luminance. I'll see what I can do. Next month I have new guests whom I don't know so I can't say what their priorities will be and they always have first call.

Olly

I'm late here, and this is great Markarian's Chain as you have teased out colour as many haveremarked.  Great framing of this classic - framing of your compositions is one of your strengths Olly.  Lovely image that really makes me feel humbled at the sheer scale of the universe.

Archived