Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More Rosette and a few galaxies

jetstream

You know, I believe that I'm starting to see some objects better in the 15" after getting some very bright views in the 200mm f3.8- or who knows why? Sky conditions 21.6mag/excellent trans.

I first sky cruised around NGC 2174 but thought I had stumbled upon another nebula! This object showed so much structure and bright shade difference with the 21E/UHC I thought it was something else. A brief look at it and the I skydove down to the Rosette, with very high hopes...

The top portion ( in newt) showed a big detached patch longer than wide above the rest of the nebulosity underneath it and some more detached patches floating around. The lower portion showed a billowy nature to the top of this area. Structure, shade differences, billowing, detaching... my words are not describing this view well...it was my best ever yet in the many hours I spend on it.

This view rocked me back, I wish others could see it this way too- maybe some do, not sure.

To cap the evening off a quick trip into UMA revealed NGC 3998,3990,3982,3972 and 3977. NGC3977 was held in direct vision with the best EP for the job the 10BCO. I am preparing to view the Double Quasar, in UMA, near NGC 3079 a showcase galaxy in its own right and the faint NGC 3073 was no problem in direct vision. I'll need luck with the Quasar...

And then there was M42....:thumbsup:

6 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Good stuff!

I found that really good seeing was also necessary (along with a dark & transparent sky) to pick up the Double Quasar.

That was through an 18" Obsession.

Whilst straining to see the Quasar NGC 3079 does become a showcase!

Good luck

Paul

Thanks Clark, I wonder what I can expect to see with the 15" on the Quasar- did you get separation? I'm just going to try for elongation and this might not be realistic, not sure...

Inspiring stuff. I was viewing the Rosette with a fast 4" and 10" last night, 24mm wide EP and UHC. Still learning my way round this object and struggling to see much other than a featureless not-quite-black swathe of nebula on one side of the cluster. Need to have a good look from a dark site rather than from home I guess! The bright core of M42 was jaw dropping at 250x though!

The detail in this object is incredible. I looked for images to illustrate how I see it but so far they are all too good. The Lumicon UHC showed much more than the Lumicon OIII using the filterslide on the Rosette and the Monkey Head. The MH was the best seen yet as well...it looked like a different object last night, with much chattery structure and bright. For the first time I also saw some wisps draping down under the drowned out wings in M42, what a sight. M43 is another object that came alive with a large mottled rift though it closer to the tip than not. The Docter 12.5mm UWA was superb showing the details mentioned in M42,M43 and matches my scope well, better than the excellent 10E that I just sold.

A lot of this is matching components- to the scope and in particular to the eye and what it wants for illumination on each target. And of course...dark, transparent skies.

7 hours ago, jetstream said:

did you get separation? I'm just going to try for elongation and this might not be realistic, not sure...

I found that just seeing it was a success. Tried to convince myself of some elongation but this is where seeing really plays a part.

Good luck.

8 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Interesting account Gerry, I am hoping for one more look at the Rosette and nebulae regions in the vicinity, although deprived of any opportunity lately, some glimmer of hope in coming few nights.

From your dark site Iain you will see the features of the Rosette.:thumbsup:

9 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Yes thanks Gerry, the nebula characteristics shows up well, I will take regard to your description, I think I'm heading out tonight, clear sky forecast but looking to be very gusty, could become interesting. 

Eagerly waiting your report!

Archived