NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron GPS Problems

Any Advise Welcome  ( i have read through the forums of many sites with no real luck )

Ok i got a AVX mount a few months back and over xmas decided to buy myself the add on GPS (skysync), followed the instructions by turning on the GPS in my controller, and it now says wait for GPS(bit of a pause) then goes to 2 star a-line.

But i'm way off, so i choose quick a line for speed,  if i now go back and check my view time site > i get silly coordinates like 00 E 30 N  date 11/2/27 and even the time is wrong , Basically it throws out any random numbers/dates/time 

Thx paul

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which firmware have you, there was and maybe stillis a known issue:

http://www.f1telescopes.co.uk/news/celestron-skysync-gps-unit-compatbility-issue/

Problem is I have no idea if the link information is still relevant but it is likely to have been firmware related. The page mentions the Mercury Transit of last May and something for Oct 2016. So not that old.

Also fix if applicable to you may be in mount, so mount firmware update.

2 hours ago, ronin said:

Which firmware have you, there was and maybe stillis a known issue:

http://www.f1telescopes.co.uk/news/celestron-skysync-gps-unit-compatbility-issue/

Problem is I have no idea if the link information is still relevant but it is likely to have been firmware related. The page mentions the Mercury Transit of last May and something for Oct 2016. So not that old.

Also fix if applicable to you may be in mount, so mount firmware update.

I have the lastest firmware, i updated via CFM last week and it updated both HC & MC firmware > i will read through your link as well 

Thx paul

4 hours ago, noah4x4 said:

Does your HC have a <time -location source> command? In mine I need to set this to find GPS, else it takes its data from the original HC defaults. 

Not as far as i can see (i may be wrong and we check again) mine has (View-Time-Site)

Thx Paul

Added >  In my settings i have (turn on GPS) , which i have set to ON, default would indicate off , because if no GPS is plugged in and you set to on , it says NO-GPS-IS-FOUND  

2 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Saw this update click here

Peter

Hi Peter

My controller was updated last week via CFM,( that software is a pain to get working would not open in Windows 10 on my main PC! even with the latest JAVA! but managed to get it working on my Windows 10 Laptop)

and i'm on

HC : GEM 5.29.6225

MC : 7.11.5056

Sorry peter i should of said this is the 2nd one i have bought , the first was sent back and this is a replacement (Both are new) 

It still does not rule out a fault with the GPS, but i thought i would post just to see if someone knows better.

Alans post about the internal battery needing charging seems feasible, and i will do the recharge from that post.

Both my RTC and GPS are turned on  Q- Is this correct ?

also i notice when i turn on my mount and it says the correct time but and asks (press enter to accept or wait for GPS) i wait as i want GPS and within 5-15secs it automatically goes to 2 star align

if i quickly chose quick align and go to VIEW TIME SITE , in here it is still waiting for GPS LINK , Q - so why does it Automatically go to align if its not got a GPS-LINK 

I hope that makes sense 

Thx Paul

My CPC has built in GPS and it will sit on the "press enter to accept or wait for GPS" message for a few seconds, but I have used it 100s of times.

The first time you use the GPS, it can take several minutes to link to satellites, it then needs a further 20mins to download stuff from the satellites (according to the CPC manual). As with all Celestron stuff, it probably thinks it is in the US by default!

You could leave it turned on outside for 30mins, then try your time/site check to see if it still says "Linking..."

I do not think it should do this...

33 minutes ago, p14b said:

so why does it Automatically go to align if its not got a GPS-LINK 

I can only tell you that when I turn on the mount I have to wait a very short time and then it goes to 2 star align. I have not turned on the RTC as the mount gets all the information from the Skysync.

Maybe you should disconnect the Skysync and do a normal alignment and then turn it off and try with the Skysync to see if gives different results.

Peter

6 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

I can only tell you that when I turn on the mount I have to wait a very short time and then it goes to 2 star align. I have not turned on the RTC as the mount gets all the information from the Skysync.

Peter

Thx again Peter, i have tried with RTC on and off, in truth once the GPS is linked it over rides my details/setting inside VIEW TIME SITE, so GPS is linking , (but mine links to a RNG) its just put me 2 days into the future , But at least its sunny here on the east coast of the USA, i give up !!!!,gona do this charge internal battery and then see 

Thx Paul

17 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

My CPC has built in GPS and it will sit on the "press enter to accept or wait for GPS" message for a few seconds, but I have used it 100s of times.

The first time you use the GPS, it can take several minutes to link to satellites, it then needs a further 20mins to download stuff from the satellites (according to the CPC manual). As with all Celestron stuff, it probably thinks it is in the US by default!

You could leave it turned on outside for 30mins, then try your time/site check to see if it still says "Linking..."

I do not think it should do this...

Thx Alan , No i don't either , its like its linking before its actually linked.

Thx Paul

5 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Have you seen this

Peter

Yes , i must of read all posts on this and watched all videos,  That video i remember because its pritty much explains what is happening to me. and he too is on his 2nd GPS. 

One thing i can add to this Video is > I also have and use a CGEM-DX mount , and i get the same wrong results from this mount also, but i don't want to start playing around with the CGEM-DX as its fine and works as it should

don't want to add problems. ( by means of firmware updates ect ect on the CGEM-DX) 

Thx paul

Archived