Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron GPS Problems

24 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

I would turn the RTC off, in case this is confusing the handset past the "wait for GPS" point in the align process

I'm doing the internal GPS battery charge, once its had time to charge i will do a re-set and turn off RTC and turn on GPS and see if this fixes it. Its about all i can do

Thx for your time and help , i will post a update tonight.

Thx Paul 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, p14b said:

Hi Peter

My controller was updated last week via CFM,( that software is a pain to get working would not open in Windows 10 on my main PC! even with the latest JAVA! but managed to get it working on my Windows 10 Laptop)

and i'm on

HC : GEM 5.29.6225

MC : 7.11.5056

P14b...Just a comment about your problems with CFM.

Whether using a 'serial to USB adapter' or a new HC with a USB output (but that's still serial inside) your Windows 10 requires a PL2303 serial to usb driver to run CFM.  This is not native to Windows 10 and will require installing on your "main PC". You must already have it in your laptop that I suspect you might use with other 'serial' devices that prior installed it.

Also JAVA can be really fussy. If the problem repeats; create a shortcut on your desktop to the CFM.jar file. Then right click on it; click browse, and access the file in its directory that way. This seems to wake up JAVA on some PC's that have (oddly) dumped the file where not expected. I don't know why or how, but a  JAVA developer showed me this trick.

Hi Noah

Usb and adapter is fine i think, as i did run the older MC and HC software through it ok when i had my older CG-5 mount, its just the JAVA bit i feel is the problem !!, can't even open the CFM software with or without the usb being plugged in anyway, i just get the quick flash like its about to open then turns off again, i'v also tried adding a shortcut to the desktop to open it from there but still it does the same, seems like something is closing it back down as soon as it tries to open up. 

Having said all the above i will check the driver as W-10 has a funny way of throwing out drivers for the hell of it.

Thx for the advise Paul

Ok charged the internal battery or at least followed the post instructions, reset and tried the GPS again with the RTC off.

Report - after waiting for GPS for 10 sec it went over to 2-star align , once done checked out settings and > date was off, so was time exactly 3 hours ahead?, but long and Lat where bang on, time zone was wrong.

Gona sent this second GPS back, and go back to the good old user input, its like having a watch that gives the correct date but wrong time. (its useless!!)

Big thanks to the people who replied with help or support 

Thx Paul

On Wednesday, February 01, 2017 at 18:59, p14b said:

Hi Noah

Usb and adapter is fine i think, as i did run the older MC and HC software through it ok when i had my older CG-5 mount, its just the JAVA bit i feel is the problem !!, can't even open the CFM software with or without the usb being plugged in anyway, i just get the quick flash like its about to open then turns off again, i'v also tried adding a shortcut to the desktop to open it from there but still it does the same, seems like something is closing it back down as soon as it tries to open up. 

Having said all the above i will check the driver as W-10 has a funny way of throwing out drivers for the hell of it.

Thx for the advise Paul

This link might assist Paul. It's the result of an awful lot of work I did on the subject of CFM and Windows 10. If the desktop shortcut didn't work, it offers a more sophisticated alternative.  Do note that in the last few weeks CFM has been upgraded to embrace more mounts etc.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/557394-nexstar-and-starsense-firmware-updates/#entry7548180 

Hi

First of all thanks, at the time of installing CFM i read through this helpful post on CN, i also remember there where a few points in it i was not too clear about!!, i will read through it again now and again later, see if its more clear this time around now i have gone through the CFM install myself.

I will let you know how i get on or if i need a little help.

Thx Paul

Archived