Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fuzzy objects

mikeDnight

It seems like ages since I've had a clear, darkish sky, so i rapidly set the 100mm Tak up in its observatory and looked at M42. The scope was a little warm straight out of the house, so the initial view wasn't breath taking. I decided to move up to M78 and throw my blackout blanket over my head and eyepiece, and just see what I could see after 20 minutes or so. The view of the nebula improved over time until eventually, I felt it was interesting enough to try and sketch. I'd just started drawing when my mobile went off and stupidly I answered it, blinding myself in the process. 

It took some time to regain my dark adaption, but the black hood over the head technique really helps to improve matters. Moving the nebula across the field of the XW eyepiece helped me to plot its boundaries, which in a 3.9" scope is not the easiest thing to determine. Anyhow, eventually I completed my sketch!

I then moved back to M42, and now with a thoroughly dark adapted eye, the view was stunning! The black nebula was immense and wonderfully complex. The dark nebula gave a real 3D impression to the whole scene, as the bright nebulosity exploded from behind the multiple walls of dark nebulosity. The bright nebula was spectacularly complex and radiated a strong pearlescent green hue. The Trapezium with its textbook perfect star images was the cherry on the cake, as the E and F stars stood perfectly and obviously alongside their brighter companions.

Now on to M1, which at 106X was large and displayed some interesting detail. The nebula isn't of uniform brightness across its surface in the 100mm, and the bright Z or N shaped figure was seen within the gas shell. At times however, there was indication of tendrils crisscrossing the face of the nebula, and also the occasional hint of filaments extending out from it. These were too indistinct to be able to pinpoint with certainty but they repeatedly revealed themselves, though fleetingly.

Back to Orion and a quick look at Alnitak, or rather, the Flame nebula, and extending away from the Flame, though nor appearing to be in contact with it was a ghostly IC474.

Clouds were starting to form and so i quickly aimed the scope at M45 and got a brief view of the nebulosity enshrouding the cluster.

All in all it was a wonderful hour and a half from an urban site, that shows that even a small scope can deliver some very pleasing views, especially if dark adaption is attained. 

Mike :icon_biggrin:

2017-01-28 21.37.05.jpg

2017-01-29 16.19.38.jpg

Hi Chris,

My observatory is reasonably dark inside with black walls, yet stray light does affect night vision after a while. I've found that blocking stray light with my astro hoody technique, even in a dark site, has a significant impact on how well i see nebulae etc. It also helps strangely enough with brighter objects like the moon and planets. Probably as it blocks distractions. I use a black dog blanket which is warm on cold winter nights, and was cheap to buy. ☺

Blocking even a small amount of stray light from reaching the eye adds an inch or more to the aperture, or thats how it seems to me!

Mike

Great report. I find the detail in M1 tricky one to pin down in a 10" from a fairly dark site so perhaps a black out blanket is the way to go! You've got me thinking that even with mag 6 stars visible to the naked eye at the dark site, there's still enough ambient light around to see fairly well.

Fantastic DSO observations with a 3.9" aperture Mike :thumbright:

I've got to try the black hood approach. I stuggle to get as much detail as you have drawn and decribed with my 12" dob and it's a pretty decent scope. I do have a fair amount of local lighthing to deal with until everbody around me is asleep and switches their lights off.

1 hour ago, John said:

Fantastic DSO observations with a 3.9" aperture Mike :thumbright:

I've got to try the black hood approach. I stuggle to get as much detail as you have drawn and decribed with my 12" dob and it's a pretty decent scope. I do have a fair amount of local lighthing to deal with until everbody around me is asleep and switches their lights off.

It's great fun too, as it freaks people out at star parties, especially if you have a sickle in your hand! :evil4:

It's the eye/eyepiece interface where noise in the form of stray light or even a cold breeze on your eye, making it tear up, can just take the edge off the detail. As long as you allow room for air flow, so that the eyepiece doesn't steam up, it will work to advantage with any scope.

I hope your talk went well John! :happy11:

Archived