Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Sky-Watcher EQ6-R GEQ Mount

FLO

Mine (not from FLO) has gone back to Skywatcher after one week of ownership due to something catastrophic going wrong with the drive. What is more annoying is that SKywatcher have said that they will have no new models until mid/end June in stock and so I can either wait 6-8 weeks, or have mine repaired. I hope I am just unlucky as I really liked the mount and was just getting to grips with it when it broke.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, dtastro said:

Does the RJ45 plug straight into the EQ6-R mount in place of the handset and will Stellarium control it from a Macbook Pro?

I think you have asked the same question at our helpdesk and Martin has responded :smile: 

My colleague James runs his mount using his MacBook via the handset. 

HTH, 

Steve 

1 hour ago, UKJay1971 said:

Mine (not from FLO) has gone back to Skywatcher after one week of ownership due to something catastrophic going wrong with the drive. What is more annoying is that SKywatcher have said that they will have no new models until mid/end June in stock and so I can either wait 6-8 weeks, or have mine repaired. I hope I am just unlucky as I really liked the mount and was just getting to grips with it when it broke.

Perhaps your supplier has one, or a similar mount, in their demo/display stock they can loan you while you wait for them to obtain a replacement? 

19 minutes ago, FLO said:

Perhaps your supplier has one, or a similar mount, in their demo/display stock they can loan you while you wait for them to obtain a replacement? 

I still have my older mount so it is ok in the short term :) Looks like Skywatcher didn't anticipate demand. As I said, it is a great mount so I am looking forward to getting it (or a replacement) back

On 2017-5-11 at 12:52, FLO said:

I think you have asked the same question at our helpdesk and Martin has responded :smile: 

My colleague James runs his mount using his MacBook via the handset. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Yes he did answer thanks. I'll look for another solution in the future.

On 2017-5-11 at 12:05, UKJay1971 said:

What went wrong? I'd be interested to know as I've just ordered one.

2 hours ago, dtastro said:

What went wrong? I'd be interested to know as I've just ordered one.

Don't know - it suddenly stopped slewing and began making sounds a healthy mount shouldn't make! I'm putting it down to pure bad luck - it happens. I really like the mount otherwise :)

13 minutes ago, UKJay1971 said:

Don't know - it suddenly stopped slewing and began making sounds a healthy mount shouldn't make! I'm putting it down to pure bad luck - it happens. I really like the mount otherwise :)

Thanks. Hope you get it sorted soon.

• 1 month later...

Well, I appreciate it's been a while but I got my mount back finally. Turns out it is a power issue and my power tank probably wasn't providing the required power to skew at speed carrying the weight of a 200pds. Turns out this mount draws up to 4amps!!! Running it off a 12v 5a bench tester now and it runs fine. In the field I have a 17ah power tank now just for the mount which will be more than fine to cope with tracking.

Why it took Skywatcher 5 weeks to look at it before deciding it was power is another issue.

Really pleased with the mount though :)

Archived