Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Identification

Big Bang!

Evening folks,

I am imaging the Flaming Star Nebula and am currently taking 30 minute frames through a Luminance filter.  Seeing is pretty good.  On order to check for drift on the mount I have just overlayed two images that are 120 minutes apart.  (Delighted to be able to say there was no discernible drift)  As I toggled between the two overlayed images I noticed one contact that was moving - only one.  When I zoom in on the image it is clearly a streak but the other stars are perfectly round.  I have checked the intervening images and it is also there, moving slowly across the image at a rate of about 18" of arc every 30 minute exposure.

I cannot find any reference in Stellarium, or on the Internet to a comet or asteroid currently in this location, RA 05.16.48  DEC 34.32.06 .  Anybody got any idea what it could be?  Surely too slow for a satellite?

Gus

Archived