Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera recommendations

So, getting there with my imaging setup slowly. Mount ordered (EQ6 GT) and am going to have a play with my Canon 5D mkIII but assuming I wanted a dedicated astro camera with a budget of £400 max, probably one shot colour, what's the options.

I know plenty about 'normal' cameras but naff all about dedicated astro ones,

As an alternative I've also seen a nice astro modded Canon 1200D for £369.

For the budget the ZWO ASI 178 fits. Always have the impression that if people are used to a DSLR then the sensor tends to appear small. the 178 is 7.4x5mm.

The ASI 174 is bigger at 10.6x8 but £200 more, less but bigger pixels on that one.

Save your money, nothing beats the 5D III at that budget.

If you really want a dedicated camera i can recommend a 600D, it will be a big downgrade from the 5D III thou.

To get something that is a real upgrade you would need to go mono with filters and to not loose 75%+ of the FOV you would need a pretty large sensor like KAF-8300, i guess it would set you back at least £2000-2500

Archived