Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Next steps-mount and possible scope upgrade

Hi all

I currently have an SW 150P and the AZ4 manual mount. It's been great for giving me a taste and I've really enjoyed using it. 

I've always wanted to get into astrophotography (I do normal photography so it's a natural step) and now have the funds for a suitable mount-trouble is I'm confused over the benefits of paying more. 

I'm looking at the SW HEQ5, NEQ6, EQ5 GT and EQ6 GT. Apart from payload what is the difference between the mounts is. Am I best just getting the EQ6 GT knowing I won't have to upgrade or do I spend a bit less and have some money toward some imaging bits?

I'm also considering a scope upgrade too. Again do I stick with Newts and get say a 250P or get a second scope of a different type-a nice refractor or Mak or SCT.

Observation wise I like looking at a bit of everything but particularly like clusters and nebulae. 

Thanks for your help. 

29 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

When it come to astro imaging start from the ground up add the roof last, So allway go for the best mount  and save up for the roof later.

Thanks SL1. Other than the fact you can freely move the EQ6 GT and it didn't lose alignment payload, accuracy etc seem exactly the same as the NEQ6. The NEQ6 bring about £400 cheaper leaves me a good chunk of change for other bits.

Am I missing some other advantage of the EQ6 GT?

My thoughts currently are the NEQ6, SW Evostar 80ED as a basis for starting imaging and maybe the SW 250PDS for visual obs but may well stick to the 150P for now as I really like it. Can never have too much aperture though eh? ;) .

Cannot make out if the bigger scope is for AP or a visual upgrade, reads a bit ambiguous, for AP the scope direction is usually downwards in size not up, it is usually the opposite to visual. So you would consider say the 130PDS or a small triplet refractor. Other is move the 150P mirror up and use that for imaging at least initially. With a short extension tube you can also drop an eyepiece in.

Looks like a WO GT71 is being produced/released and one of those sounds a good option. If you can ever get one here.

Mountwise cannot really say, the Skywatchers seem to have reports of problems but we have so many here that even if no worse then others there would be numerically more reports. One possible alternative is the iOptron ???60 mount, I say ??? as it is either CEM or ZEQ and I cannot recall which. That seems to be the iOpteon top end item and appears to be good. Also I think that iOptron have better customer support - appears they take part in the user forum and get involved when something happens.

One factor is look into the PC-mount connectors. Some sre still the old serial and then a USB on the PC can be problematic. Might seem a small aspect but it is relevant and easily overlooked.

I hate doing big posts , I am difficult to understand, I will make the comments on equipment own or have used over the years.

The sky watcher HEq5 is a very good little mount but it really a field mount light and portable once you start adding more counter balance I personally think you start stressing bearings your payload for imaging should really be kept to about 9 kg.

The new AZEQ-GT it Is more up to the job but again  imaging I would like to stay within 12 kg, As Robin said small  work better large ones get buffeted by wind so not really suitable for imaging for long exposures.

Another factor you need to consider telescope length, telescope guiding length, and camera pixels size ,do your homework .

Thanks both

Have posted in the beginning imaging forum as well as actually thinking of using my Canon 5d mkIII and 70-200 f2.8 L mkII for imaging at first. Super bit of glass and am very comfortable with its operation.

The larger scope would be for visual obs. I like the 150P and it's great for chucking in the car etc but for base use fancy something with a bit more size to it.

I'll look into the ioptron mounts-have heard good things about them.

If you want to get into imaging the may I suggest spending about £20 first on https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html   This takes you through all the options and points out the pitfalls (there are many!! :) ) of starting out in astrophotography.  (Usual discalimer other than being a satisfied customer).

P.S. Astrophotography will empty your wallet ! 

10 minutes ago, Bizibilder said:

If you want to get into imaging the may I suggest spending about £20 first on https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html   This takes you through all the options and points out the pitfalls (there are many!! :) ) of starting out in astrophotography.  (Usual discalimer other than being a satisfied customer).

P.S. Astrophotography will empty your wallet ! 

Good advice thank you. I have the book - it is truly one of the best technical manuals on any subject I have ever read-and just at the moment I have the wallet also hence why now is as good a time as any to get into it!

Hopefully get the mount tomorrow which of course means cloudy nights for the next 6 months!!

I am in a similar situation (starting from photography) and my current set-up is as follows: Induro CT214 tripod, Manfrotto 410 head to mount Astrotrac, Astrotrac w/ polar scope, Induro BHD2 head to mount camera, Canon 5D MIII camera and 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS lens. I am just starting out and am interested in AP of stuff like Orion Nebula and Andromeda galaxy. I have had limited success to date but really enjoy it and want to get better. I think that the Astrotrac should be OK for now (?) and I will outgrow it perhaps later but my tripod appears weak and both the Induro ball head and Manfrotto 410 wiggle too much. Where would people suggest that I spend some money to upgrade my system so I can start getting some successful shots?

Thanks all for your thoughts. Mount ordered-gone for the EQ 6 GT which will hopefully arrive tomorrow so I apologise to anyone in the Sheffield area for the 6 months of low cloud we're about to endure!

Did consider the cheaper options but unless I get a full home observatory I think the EQ6 will last me!

Will use my 5D mkIII plus lens and will also try mounting it to my 150P and look at a big fat newt for visual :)

7 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Thanks all for your thoughts. Mount ordered-gone for the EQ 6 GT which will hopefully arrive tomorrow so I apologise to anyone in the Sheffield area for the 6 months of low cloud we're about to endure!

Did consider the cheaper options but unless I get a full home observatory I think the EQ6 will last me!

Will use my 5D mkIII plus lens and will also try mounting it to my 150P and look at a big fat newt for visual :)

9 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Sheffield

I am not in Sheffield but I like clouds ps by day only. Hope you like the new mount ,

Archived