NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New scope help please...any suggestions!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Kat. I saw your link but didn't think it was a goto?

Popeye posted a YouTube review of the Star Discovey which looks a good scope and I wondered if there was much of a difference between that and the Explorer. I thought it could be the mirror but it is the same as you say.

1 hour ago, iapa said:

Seriously tho', stair landings are an issue - we have a 90deg turn 7 steps up (or down) and Anything more than about 42" in length is just is not going down stairs with me.

That's why I like my dob.  I can hug it close to my body and carry it upright in front of me or on my hip.  It only sticks out the width of the base which is less than 20 inches and is no taller than me carried in this manner.  I can scoot through pretty much any opening while carrying it.

Star discovery goto altaz mount (same mirror) there is a great video on yourtube for this setup astronomy and nature tv. The two main differences are the focuser unit and the mirror is mounted differently not using the same colimmation arrangement I think, this does not appear to have overly bothered users. Freedom find is very cool I think because the mount does not die when power source is flat. Ideally you will want to power other than batteries depending on the amount of slewing. I don't have one I have the baby Virtuoso which also has freedom find.

link here

Video links

link 1

manual 150p on altaz mount (only £20 cheaper but no goto)

link here

32 minutes ago, Louis D said:

That's why I like my dob.  I can hug it close to my body and carry it upright in front of me or on my hip.  It only sticks out the width of the base which is less than 20 inches and is no taller than me carried in this manner.  I can scoot through pretty much any opening while carrying it.

I also carry my dob - mainly in front of me. In fact I regularly carry it up and down stairs on a weekly basis and don't even think twice about it. I obviously separate the tube and stand but it's no big deal. I'm on the shorter and skinnier side too so if I can do it...

I like the dob too but I need to take it away with me and it's two flights of narrow stairs:)

Another question about the Star Discovery please;) Would you say that this video is the kind of visuals that you would actually see through the 150 P?

Thanks again:)

So you carry your dobs around the tube rather than from each end?  My instruction book told me to put a hand on each end of the tube (and I find a convenient ledge at the closed end to put my fingers against) and lift it for mounting  like that.  I just naturally assumed that I should deploy the same method to move it a larger distance.  My tube is painted with shiney sparkly paint (its actually attractive as well as fit for purpose) and I would imagine its a bit slippy to rely on holding it around the middle, esp. When its wet with dew.  I wouldn't want to drop it!

NB.  Please note.  None of the above comments have been written with the intent of them being taken out if context and used as "oo-er missus" comments!!

Archived