NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Try and exsplain this trail ?

Hi Every one, I was checking my subs as they were coming off the

camera, when I noticed a streak, it is on a 10 minute ha sub of ic 1805

after stretching it to bits, you can see it coming in from the left stopping

and coming in at at a arc, it was after this pic I packed every thing away

as the sky had gone murky like pea soup.

your thoughts please.

Paul

ic1805.png

Ok I'll take three guesses;

Two separate sats that have come out of the earths shadow at the same point but possibly at slightly different times.

A meteor breaking up on entry and leaving a set of trails.

A satellite launch where you see a booster section ejected and heading off in a different direction.

22 hours ago, D4N said:

Ok I'll take three guesses;

Two separate sats that have come out of the earths shadow at the same point but possibly at slightly different times.

A meteor breaking up on entry and leaving a set of trails.

A satellite launch where you see a booster section ejected and heading off in a different direction.

I like the sound of the first one Dan, and to me anyway is the most plausible

Paul

3 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Was there anything in the sub before this one?

Spider with a flashlight climbing down your OTA is the best I can come up with.

Funny thing is I did mislay my flash light that night , but found it eventually, damn spiders, lol

This is the only sub with the anomaly on

Think I know what is going on here. Comparing with other images there is a bright star at the end of the track, the brightest in frame. Near the end of the sub the scope was moved and this was the only one bright enough to leave a trail through the Ha filter. The scope was moved slowly in one direction to leave a bright trail and then quickly in another to leave the faint trail. I still don't understand why the track is curved though. Could you have disturbed the polar alignment when this sub was being shot?

Well, if you tried to replicate this you'd never succeed!

I'd say a sudden bump to the OTA, the curve arising from the fact that the bump affected both axes. As Knight said, it's the only star bright enough to leave a visible trail. But that still leaves the mystery of why it is a one way trace. Surely it's not an 'out and back' because an out and back would never overlap itself so perfectly. And what happened at the upper end of the bright curve? How did it make a 90 degree turn to leave that very faint trace?

Maybe we need to invoke the start or finish of the sub? Suppose the sub began just as the mount had taken a bump. The exposure begins at the left hand end of the very faint horizontal trace and the mount quickly rebounds to the right, to the position where the curved trace starts. Being a fast rebound the trace is extremely faint.  It settles from its bump in this position and the autoguider regains control and drives it slowly in both axes back to the position of the star at the bottom end of the curve. Being driven slowly back to position by the autoguider the trace is bright and corrections in both axes give the curve.

Best I can do, but it's a royal conundrum!

Olly

I remember many (40+) years ago showing someone the common constellations, Ursa Major & Minor (in those days it was fully naked eye visible), Casseopiea, Orion etc. and we both saw, naked eye, something that followed a similar acute angle direction change.

Being just under a mile from the main runway at PWK, we assumed some military aircraft (F104s, aka Starfighter, were commonly on site for repair/test at that time).

I just assumed it was a Vogon Constructor :)

It does seem to be a very neat arc...... is that relevant?

Archived