NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

£450? £4,500? £45,000? none seem right to me?

4 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

EDIT: I've just seen that the seller has edited the price - £450, seems like the good buy for someone if they did an ok job of the mirror? 

Yes precisely, the £450 figure probably represents what the seller feels a potential buyer might risk on a home built telescope of this aperture. Could be the bargain of the year already!   :icon_biggrin:

54 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Oh, and there is an intervening sea

It might be pretty buoyant if the mirror uses 'float' glass.......I'll get my coat!

It's a 1000 mile round trip for me too, If I left my wife with the 3 kids for 2 days whilst I got it, she would make me sleep in the thing...outside! 

I think the seller is saying that the primary might need re-figuring but he is doing it in a subtle way. A DIY 16" F/3.2 mirror is a pretty tall order even for a relatively experienced mirror maker.

Just now, John said:

I think the seller is saying that the primary might need re-figuring but he is doing it in a subtle way. A DIY 16" F/3.2 mirror is a pretty tall order even for a relatively experienced mirror maker.

He must have been subtle, I guess the phrase "suitable for low power viewing" might have been it? Although "slight SA" actually sounds quite promising for a home made 16" f/3.2 mirror. I hate to think what it would be like if I tried to do a fast 16" :grin: 

Archived