NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Multiple filter wheel.

You need to stack them in something like Deep Sky Stacker then transfer a Tiff image to P'Shop

Just an indication this is a single 30 min O111 sub of the California Nebula taken a couple of nights ago using a dedicated CCD camera, stretched to within an inch of its life so you can see it is tricky catching O111 using a DSLR although some objects emit stronger O111 than others.

There are numerous objects that image perfectly well using an unmodded DSLR, I'd just practice with your camera connected to your scope and learn how to take some images, don't give up if they appear to be rubbish compared to some images posted here and please post them anyway to get help and advice.

Good luck

Dave

1800sec-O111-00203ps.png

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used Astronomik clip-in filters for my NB imaging when I used a DSLR.  You need large filters close to the image sensor.  The camera was a Canon EOS 1100D.

I say, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

I do not have or use a reflector telescope myself. But I do have and use a manual filter wheel that I have attached both my CCD camera, and my DSLR, to it. I do so with a threaded spool in the nose piece of my T-adaptor for the DSLR, or the same in the nose piece of the CCD.

So... I use one of these screwed into my filter wheel, and that goes in my 2" focuser. It's a zero focus adapter that puts the wheel housing as close to the focuser as possible.

I use something like THIS for the camera's T-mount, or the front of my CCD to thread onto the filter wheel housing. If you scroll down you will see the threaded adapter, and a T-mount often bought together.

The only slip-joint to my Filter/camera system is the 2" zero focusing adapter. Everything else is threaded together for the shortest assembly, and the most rigid configuration. A friend of mine recently recommended using a 48 mm adapter to give the DSLR sensor the widest window to look through. It helps reduce coma. And in my experiance, the 1.25" filters induce a lot of coma. But my FOV (field of view) is so very wide with my combination that I can crop away much of the coma.

Best of luck with your filter wheel. Eventually you will continue to progress, but for now venture forth. You could do a loose assembly before buying anything. I did that by holding my camera and the opening to get a rough Idea of distances for focal length, or lack of it. It will get you a crude idea of if you have the focal adjustment to work with.

Best of luck, I hope things work for you. :wink:

Archived