Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nebulae Delight on Wednesday Night

scarp15

A lowly Mars shone brightly across the expanse of moorland from my dark sky location, a little North of the village of Longframlington in Northumberland.

Pointing the 14" dobsonian at the Pleiades M45, nebulosity was observed around the rim and immersed within the cluster, reflection nebula the Merope was apparent in my lowest power, ultra wide field eyepiece. Attaching an OIII filter and increasing the power, the Crab M1 was bright and distinct. Coasting down to the Monkey Head NGC 2174, the emission nebula was also quite bright and easy to distinguish around a bright inner star. Along to Gemini, I visited the Eskimo NGC 2392 and then the Peanut NGC 2371, the duel lobe quite apparent with a little more power and pleasing in my 10mm delos. I could not detect the Jellyfish, this super nova remnant remains challenging and elusive, though perhaps transparency was not the best.

Into Auriga and the Tadpoles, emission nebula IC 410 was now familiar and easily detected whilst IC 405 , flaming star around AE Auriga still a little unclear although the presence of nebulosity was detectable. I took the filter off for a view of Mirach's Ghost NGC 404, a visit to this solitary galaxy, a slight 'nebula-esque' profile, the composition between star and galaxy pleasing in both wide field and plossl eyepieces.  The Great Nebula in Orion was particularly indulgent tonight with a UHC filter and 13mm Ethos, one can only try to imagine the presence of more Northern Hemisphere nebulae as vivid, theatrically atmospheric and dramatic to the eye. Reflection nebula M78 slipped in and out of view before I attached a H-beta filter to align with the California nebula NGC 1499, emission nebula in Perseus. A large exit pupil and ultra wide field provided a fairly bright and wholesome view of this large nebula.

Entering back into Orion and without a filter, the Flame, NGC 2024, was detected in my 13mm ethos, I could see some indication of the primary dark patch that divide the nebula, next time I will try my 10mm delos, which might yet provide further clarity and improved definition.  The plan now was to re-attach a H-beta filter and look for the Horse Head, but blanket cloud had started to sweep across. Instead, I hastily refitted an OIII and swung the scope around to observe the Rosette NGC 2237, the immenseness of nebula cloud enveloping around open cluster NGC 2244 was a fine sight until the curtain of cloud finally closed. 

Driving home, the sky completely cleared to become perfect once more - how typical.

Awesome report Iain!

I believe the more we look at these nebula the more we see and trying different things like larger exit pupils can be a step in the right direction depending on the object. I look forward to your further reports :thumbsup: and I know that you will be squeezing more detail out on these objects.

Fine job Iain.

Archived