Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Returning to stargazing

Hi all,

it's a while since I last posted on here.

i previously owned the skywatcher skymax  127 but unfortunately, I had money trouble and had to sell. 

I have £150 to spend on a new scope. Any recommendations on my tight budget?

thanks

darrell

Thanks for your replies both. 

Ideally I'm hoping to view planets and DSO. I have seen the skywatcher 200 dob advertised on the FLO site. I'm very tempted by this but the price is £285. I might wait for a month or to and save the additional money to fund this.

Is the equipment provided with a 200 dob sufficient to get me started or will I need to purchase extra's? 

If I was to spend £285, would the dob be a good choice?

thanks

darrell

Yes it really would be worth the wait and the upgrade. The 200 is a staple, and well respected. You might struggle to find one S/H.

I don't know about the 200 but normally Skywatcher kit comes with a couple of basic eyepieces. In time you will probably want something a bit better, but that is the beauty of these dobs, upgrades are easy :)

You get a 25 mm and a 10 mm eyepiece with the Dob as well as a basic 2x Barlow. I started with these. The 25 is very usable, the 10 less so, but I persevered with both for the first couple of months before replacing the 10. They will let you learn to use your scope and give you a better idea what you might want as replacements.

Archived