NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A shining star in the southern sky

Sohn

As the sun is setting, there is a bright star in the southern sky. Can anybody tell me its Name? When it is dark, there are also three stars one under the other. They make a straight line in the southern sky. Can anyone tell me its name if it is a constellation, or is it just part of a constellation?

2 minutes ago, Sohn said:

Can you also see Venus in the Uk as the sun is setting? If yes, is it possible to see it in the entire northern hemisohere?

Yes, see the post before yours by @LukeSkywatcher:

26 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

You could download this:

http://www.stellarium.org

Its a brilliant free planetarium which will show you what you are looking at anywhere in the sky on any given night of the year.

6 minutes ago, Sohn said:

Can you also see Venus in the Uk as the sun is setting? If yes, is it possible to see it in the entire northern hemisohere?

Yes its visible while the sun is setting. Might be a bit tricky to spot it though if the Sun is still above the horizon. It is also visible from everywhere on Earth. You might be interested to read a report i wrote a couple of days ago:

Archived