NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dark Sky Gwynedd Astro Tourism Project

laser_jock99

They tried this in the Brecon Beacons National park and it has not really worked very well.

When they were first awarded dark sky status, I phoned the Brecon Beacons National park office and was told that the business model had been done at the University of Glamorgan in Pontypridd (Now Uni of South Wales) ands was all based around amateur astronomers and tourists staying in B&B type accommodation.  I told them that what most amateur astronomers would probably prefer would be a campsite with lights turned off  and electrical hook up to run equipment etc. They were not interested at all and just reiterated the business model.

I think that the Astrocamp and SGL South Wales Group star parties. at two different campsites near Crickhowell and Brecon respectively, bring more astronomers to the area every year than any tourist business model.

What an annoying website! Constantly irritating 'snow' and a popup telling me to attach my phone so they can stick and unasked-for app on it!

I suspect there is a difference between attracting inexperienced families who will spend a few hours at a scope of an evening and die-hard astronomers who want to go to bed as the cock crows.

Archived