Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dedicated camera help.

Nova2000

Hello all

I've been using a dslr for astrophotography with the star adventurer. I've seen some people taking photos with a camera lense and a asi camera. 

I wish to do that as these cameras are sensitive and might get me better images. 

I'm soon going to order new ap stuff once I get my funds.(bought a car as old one broke down 7 yrs old) 

I'm thinking of asi cameras as they can also be used as autoguiders and have created some good images. Can you'll help me to find a good low price asi camera for a beginner who has not used dedicated cameras? 

Thankyou 

Rajesh 

The zwo cameras are pretty good value for money.

You need to decide if you will be using filters or not as this will cut the choice of cameras in half.  You can go mono to take advantage of narrowband and luminance or you can get a colour camera and not have the outlay of filters.

You will also need an adaptor to fit the camera to the lens as the camera comes with a T2 thread that won't fit a standard photographic lens.

Once you have decided on that then you can start looking at what you can afford, cooled or uncooled?  I made my own cooler for my asi178mc which has been pretty effective.

The chips on most of these cameras are quite small, the really expensive ones have bigger chips.  This means you will have a much smaller field of view than with a DSLR unless you opt for the most expensive camera.

I have an  asi120mm and a asi178mc.  The former I just use for guiding as the latter is a far better imaging camera.

With those night temperatures, you should definitely consider cooling. But even the cheapest zwo cooled cams are slightly beyond your stated budget. An alternative would be a second hand cooled ccd camera, such as atik. New cameras in your price range have a very small sensor.

That changes the rules of the game. Now a cooled cmos/ccd is within your reach. The asi1600mm-cool is somewhat more expensive. The asi174mm-cool, which has a smaller chip, is an alternative. Still, consider a 2nd hand ccd, as well.

I don't have one myself, but as a replacement for my aging dslr, I've been looking at both asi and atik. Atik cameras have a smaller chip per £ (€, $), but have a proven track record. I'm not at all familiar with what is available on your local 2nd hand market.

My advice: look around the imaging sections. Check with local astrophotographers, what they are using. And also check what (local) support or service is available. You may not want to ship a camera halfway around the globe for service or repair, if something is wrong with it.

Hope this helps

Archived