NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dew protection for C 9.25 OTA?

I planning to buy a Celestron C 9.25" tube and mount it on an equatorial mount using a Losmandy-size dovetail.  

Celestron C9.25 XLT Optical Tube Assembly

I'm planning to fit it with a dew strap and (on occasion) a flexible dew shield.  Is it easy to mount both on the front of the tube with the Losmandy dovetail?. If not, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks

Hi,

it is quite straight forward, the proper Celestron flexible dew shields have a cut out for the dovetail bar, and then a dew strap can be fitted over the top if needed, but you will need a slightly bigger dew strap because of the extra diameter with the dew shield fitted,  as another option Astrozap make a heated flexible dew shield with a dew strap built in, but don't think that come with the cut out to fit around the dovetail bar... :)

to be perfectly honest, I have never seen the need for a dew heater on an SCT when a good length dew shield is fitted, it does the job fine.

I had a Celestron C8 which is similar. I put a dew strap just behind the front plastic band, recessed against the metal and under the dovetail bar. I could then slide on a home made dew cover (with no internal heater and a recess cut out for the dovetail bar) over the front.

IMG_3254.jpg

scopewithst80-2sml.jpg

It depends where you live as to whether you need a dew heater or not. Some folks say they are unnecessary, but I live between three reservoirs and also near the rivers Thames and Mole; dew happens!

I have the combined Astrozap dewshield and heater, it's the neatest solution. In my conditions a dewshield alone is not enough.

Archived