Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gaps in my knowledge

ok so after countless hours of debate and research i have finally sorted out like 90 percent of my setup that im going to get but i have left the arguably the most important part till last :- the tripod. I planned to get the Zomei Z818 based on reviews but i have been introduced to the idea of getting an EQ3? tripod only but can't find links towards it. I'm not sure with the EQ3 tripod whether i would need some sort of adapter to mount the EQ wedge to the tripod.

here is my planned setup - 

Camera - Canon 100d (non-modded)

Mount - Star Adventurer

Lens - Rokinon/Samyang 35mm f/1.4

i trolled through many forums and can't get definitive answers as to what is a good tripod. the budget is around 100 quid and yes i know there will be answers like you can't a decent tripod for that price but i want one that performs mediocre to withstand the SA and a light to medium size lens, i wont be planning to mount a telescope to it.

ANY help would be appreciated.

thanks.

I use a photo tripod for my star adventurer and use the ball head in place of the wedge, I have the wedge but its heavy and I find I can polar align fine for short focal lengths using the ball head.

It does need to be a sturdy photo tripod though.

I don't own an eq3 but the eq2 tripod is very difficult to use with the star adventurer, it just doesn't fit (I did try but gave up as the photo tripod is more portable anyway).

5 minutes ago, D4N said:

I use a photo tripod for my star adventurer and use the ball head in place of the wedge, I have the wedge but its heavy and I find I can polar align fine for short focal lengths using the ball head.

It does need to be a sturdy photo tripod though.

I don't own an eq3 but the eq2 tripod is very difficult to use with the star adventurer, it just doesn't fit (I did try but gave up as the photo tripod is more portable anyway).

what model is the tripod you use?

6 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

It's a EQ3-2 is I think what you had been referred to.

Also you only need the leg part. You would not need the star adventurer if you had the EQ3-2.

thats true, im probably just better off getting a normal sturdy tripod

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I use a Velbon DV7000 tripod, they used to be about £80.00 on Amazon but have gone up recently, can't think why :rolleyes2:

I've used a couple of scope on it and 300mm lens

Dave

have you used the SA on it along with the scope/lens

Tripods really are simple things - 3 metal legs. You can get very decent tripods for £100 and seeing as you're not using a telescope your payload will be less and you won't need anything bulky/expensive. I have a Benro and it's awesome.

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Yes, here's a couple of pic's.

Dave

SA-300mm.png

ST80-&-Quark.jpg

SWSA-LS60-3.png

ah yes i remember seeing those pictures around on the forum, seems a hefty setup and looks sturdy so now its just between the DV7000 and the Zomei Z818. Cheers dave

The DV7000 comes with a head that you have to unscrew and fit the Star Adventurer so theoretically you could get a better tripod for the same sort of money without a head, but having the head means it's useful for ordinary photography

I don't think the DV7000 is available "headless"

Dave

17 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

The DV7000 comes with a head that you have to unscrew and fit the Star Adventurer so theoretically you could get a better tripod for the same sort of money without a head, but having the head means it's useful for ordinary photography

I don't think the DV7000 is available "headless"

Dave

both the dv7000 and z818 has the heads still on which i would honestly prefer because as you say the option is there for the ordinary photography but as long as the heads are removable ans the SA is attachable then thats fine

Archived