Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion widefield with nikon d3300

So the weather here in Denmark is as always trash, but when the sky is clear i try to image when i can.
Yesterday i got 180x10sec shots of orion at 35mm, 10sec exposure, iso 3200 at f/4.5 with my kit-lens 25 flat, bias and dark frames. I think i am pushing my "setup" to its limits, with my gorillapod and kit-lens as you can see below in a picture taken with my iphone.

But somehow Deep sky stacker wouldn't want me to have a 180 frames stacked giving me 30mins of exposure, NO NO! It took away ONE frame just to give me that 29min and 50sec OCD freakout.
However i am pretty happy with the results, but i am highly considering to buy the nifty fifty nikkor af-s 50mm f/1.8, as i think this would perform better. 
Here is the pictures of the setup for the night and how much light pollution there was according to the sqm readings.

IMG_5876.JPG
IMG_5877.JPG
IMG_5878.PNG
IMG_5879.PNG

And now to the picture of orion itself. I know it is nothing to party about, but tell me what you think.
In the picture i think i caught the orion nebula, the flame nebula and M78.
Orion widefield.jpg

Clear skies!

Victor Boesen

27 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Nice image Victor, and get the 1.8 - those extra few stops make all the difference and it's a beauty for portraits and everyday carry during the day too, sharp, very sharp.

yeah i will. Actually it was after seeing your "quick and dirtier orion" that i wanted to give orion a try, and when i saw the price of the nifty fifty, my jaw dropped.

Great start, good to see having a go with what you have. It's fun identifying what you captured.

Theoretically I would expect you to comfortably get images at 10 seconds without much evidence of star trails. Was that 35mm actually 55mm on the lens? Being really conservative 400/35 = 11.4 so did you sit at the table surfing while the images where being taken? Did the table transmit vibration or maybe is the grillopod vibrating with the mirror movement on each exposure? To test this set the lens at 15mm or what ever is widest for 5 second exposure are you still seeing trails?

Hope you don't mind me commenting. 

Archived