Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam imaging with skymax pro 180

Photon

I have a Skymax pro 180 scope and a zwo asi120mc. I have tried to webcam image but the image appears very low quality, what do I need to do to get the picture good quality. The pixel size of the camera is 3.5um and the focal length of the scope is 2700mm. Do I need a focal reducer?

I have tried webcam imaging using a zwo asi120mc and my Skymax pro 180 but the image appears very low resolution. Is this the wrong combination of telescope and camera? Focal length of telescope is 2700mm and pixel size of camera is 3.5um

• 2 weeks later...

Prime focus would be a better option. As a general rule the less glass the light has to pass through the less degraded it is. 

In terms of poor quality images, if you're attempting to image planets/moon then that is a good setup but the image quality will be affected by the seeing at the time you are imaging. Plus with the planets not being placed well (i.e. Low in altitude) for the next few years the more "murk" the light has to pass through which will also degrade the images. An atmospheric dispersion corrector can help to a degree with this. 

Archived