Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

the Digital Age...how is it for you ?

impactcrater

As far as computers go I have had three Dell laptops starting with an Inspiron running XP then the XPS with win 7 and finally the Alienware with win 10 and not once in 10 years have I had a single failure and all run happily even though they where/are hammered for at least 12 hours per day. I put some of this reliability down to careful housekeeping, removal of dead registry entries and a good antivirus software.

Alan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quick net search reveals that electronics failure doesn't feature in the top 5 reasons for aircraft failures, with the top actually being pilot error.  Well designed electronics, such as aerospace etc. are extremely reliable, and of course have built in redundancy where necessary such as critical  systems.  In fact mechanical failure is second, and the mechanical systems and materials used are amongst the best there is.

I think a point someone made in anther post about the Celestron AVX mount is really a good point here, with badly assembled boards now being supplied from China possibly causing reliability issues.  In theory all the component parts are ridiculously reliable, it's how designers arrange and assemble all the sub-circuits that determine the ultimate reliability, along with good software engineers.

I love the digital era, but perhaps am one of the fortunate ones that really doesn't have too many things go wrong in that way.

As another point to emphasise its importance, my Mrs had to have 33 radiotherapy sessions last year following surgery, and is just about to have another lot.  None of this would be possible without a digital world and reliable equipment.  20 years ago I could have kissed her goodbye, so you won't hear me complaining :thumbright:

Archived