Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My best view of Jupiter yet!

Helen

It has not been a very good week for me. I've been off work all week with a really bad cold, been feeling miserable, and just to top it all its been clear for the first time since I don't know when and I haven't felt well enough to make the most of it :clouds1: . So last night, when it turned clear again I decided that I was going to give it a go - if I suffered today because of it, well so be it!

I decided to get the ETX125 out on the SLT mount (had a brief go in the week to test it out). It was still a bit wobbly (must fish out those vibration suppression pads) but the vibrations damped much quicker following my tweaking of the mount and attachment of the flexifocuser :D

So managed to find a spot where I could see Jupiter between trees (no hope from the Obs) and was rewarded with what must be my best ever view of Jupiter :D I've seen bands many times, but never detail in the bands. The swirls were clearly visible, even though Jupiter is so low. I was well chuffed :D and Mike was impressed again too! He was telling a friend today how impressive it was!

I then decided to do some scanning, as Jupiter disappeared pretty quickly :clouds1: . I managed to find the ring nebula (a first in the ETX) and enjoyed Alberio. I did need to go to bed by that point though.

But I'm glad I gave it a go :clouds1: . Not only for the views of Jupiter, but because it proved to me that I can get some pleasure from the ETX - its a nice scope, its a shame its only useful when separated from its mount! I think I'm going to finally put my frustrations with this scope behind me, and just enjoy its views :D

Helen

Helen, I am so sorry to here you are unwell. Summer colds can be very debilitating, and very hard to shake off. You must take care, and try not to be too brave for your own good, those little bugs are very tenacious. Having said that, your joy at seeing your best Jupiter must have gave you a great lift. I know whenever I was over stressed due to work pressures, the thoughts of a good night observing always gave me the lift I needed. Astronomy can be a good medicine as long as you don't overdo it :D

Hope you have a complete recovery soon, and continue to get the best from the ETX too.

Ron. :D

Sorry to hear that you're under the weather Helen.. :D

Good that you got out and had a good view of Jupiter...I'm going to have a go myself tonight...

I'm going to have to hunt out some primers for finding polaris and aligning an EQ mount..It's been a while :D

Archived