NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZ-EQ5 or iOptron AZ Pro Goto

Stu

Stu,
Just so you know the image of my dual mount above shows the secondary puck that I used on the WR Giro the one for the Ioptron is much beefier and does not slide over the counterweight bar (I used this whilst waiting for the missing puck to arrive)

I am thinking of getting a 9.25 SCT also but I would like to try it first on the mount... any idea on the weight when loaded with a diagonal, eyepiece  and a real focuser?

Another consideration Stu is your scopes length, on the primary mine only clears the tripod legs by about an inch when the focuser is fully extended with a 2" diagonal. I would imagine this would not be such an issue as most refractors are back heavy when fully loaded, hence the scope has to be moved quite a way forward to achieve balance taking it away from the tripod. The secondary will also depend on the differences in weight between the 2 scopes but it is miles away with 2 scopes on there for me.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

Like that link Chris , Ok I am looking at az 6 but every thing in this post is a lot of help to me .

Gawd we're all looking at mounts aren't we lol, I've got an incoming Meade USA 8" SCT to find a mount for too!

1 hour ago, Pig said:

Stu,
Just so you know the image of my dual mount above shows the secondary puck that I used on the WR Giro the one for the Ioptron is much beefier and does not slide over the counterweight bar (I used this whilst waiting for the missing puck to arrive)

I am thinking of getting a 9.25 SCT also but I would like to try it first on the mount... any idea on the weight when loaded with a diagonal, eyepiece  and a real focuser?

Another consideration Stu is your scopes length, on the primary mine only clears the tripod legs by about an inch when the focuser is fully extended with a 2" diagonal. I would imagine this would not be such an issue as most refractors are back heavy when fully loaded, hence the scope has to be moved quite a way forward to achieve balance taking it away from the tripod. The secondary will also depend on the differences in weight between the 2 scopes but it is miles away with 2 scopes on there for me.

That's interesting Shaun. Is it possible to fit an extension pillar to the iOptron tripod?

1 hour ago, Starlight 1 said:

Like that link Chris , Ok I am looking at az 6 but every thing in this post is a lot of help to me .

Which scopes will you be using? I used the 6 with a hefty frac, but I'm sure the 5 would cope with most things.

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

I believe so Stu... I am sure I saw one for sale during my extensive researching but I concluded it was not something I would need and didn't give it another thought. So it would be best to check beforehand.

Wow at the amount cables in the above picture .... that would seriously do my nut in :icon_flower: I do like the look of the 9.25 though ... very tempting.

Your picture has also made me realise another plus with the Ioptron....... you do not need a finder.

6 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

Here comes stupid question, what advantages is there over a AZ mount to EQ mount . Yes the EQ mount is made for imaging but can still do visual so why would you want AZ and EQ.

Not stupid at all. For me, the AltAz style mounts have two main advantages. The fact that the eyepiece does not rotate around as the mount points to different parts of the sky, but stays in the same orientation makes it much easier to use.

The ability to easily have two scopes side by side is another plus. EQ mount can do two scope obviously, but they end up in crazy positions relative to each other, and the Finder moves around into awkward positions too.

Just now, Starlight 1 said:

This photo explain the 10 hours of battery life have not got anything to do with  memory  in the hand set ,My apologies for this understanding.

Not really... but the back light brightness and handset warming options will use some of the main battery power if selected. The handset does have a small battery to support some of its GPS clock functions as with all hand controllers.

I do not know I have never had one. The battery in the handsets is very long lasting as it does not control a great deal of functions. Its a bit like the battery on a PC's mother board. Maybe someone else can clarify as I feel I did not understand your first question.

• 9 months later...

i have recently purchased a  iOptron AZ Pro, which I am pleased with however I cant make it work via the wifi on my ipad using Sky Safari plus, as is advertised,  the mount connects to my ipad OK and I can connect to the mounts wifi. In setting I enter as instructed, SkiFi number 10.10.100.254, Port 8899. I could not find the Scope type AZ Pro isted so I chose the handset 8407 also alt/az, however despite this it will not connect to the scope. I have tried this with my iPhone but the same. I have contacted the dealer and iOptron but not received a reply, can any one help

1 hour ago, robindurant said:

i have recently purchased a  iOptron AZ Pro, which I am pleased with however I cant make it work via the wifi on my ipad using Sky Safari plus, as is advertised,  the mount connects to my ipad OK and I can connect to the mounts wifi. In setting I enter as instructed, SkiFi number 10.10.100.254, Port 8899. I could not find the Scope type AZ Pro isted so I chose the handset 8407 also alt/az, however despite this it will not connect to the scope. I have tried this with my iPhone but the same. I have contacted the dealer and iOptron but not received a reply, can any one help

Hopefully @Pig can assist if he sees this

7 hours ago, robindurant said:

Hiya, I have no trouble connecting my iPad or my old iPhone 6+ but my new iPhone 6S plus does not work with SkySafari plus. I have been in contact with SS techs and they were helpful to start but it kind of fizzled out as they slowly ran out of ideas. They were going to get the 6S and get back to me but this never materialised. 

I just use my iPad these days as it is a bigger screen. There is an option for AZ Pro listed on my menu and your numbers above match my set up. I will fire mine up tomorrow and take some snaps of my menu selections and post them ?

Archived