NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nikon D3100 on EdgeHD 8"

Hi All,

I have just recently made a few little purchases to get my feet wet with Astro imaging.

I live in light polluted skies so am in need of a light pollution filter. 

The issue is, I don't have any back focus left to play with. The reducer 0.7x, EdgeHD t-adapter, Nikon DSLR T-ring and DSLR eat up the complete 133.5 mm. The only way to introduce a  light pollution filter as far as I think would be to get rid of the EdgeHD t-adapter and replace it with spacers giving enough room for a light pollution filter to somehow screw somewhere in the image train but I don't know where and what is required. 

Unfortunately I do not have the funds to buy something else right now or be able to replace my existing Nikon D3100 DSLR which I bought many many moons ago when it was first released.

Just want to pick people's brains here on this.

Thanks

1 hour ago, knobby said:

Isn't the 133mm for no reducer , and 105mm when using reducer ...

Just had a Google, looks like the edge T adaptor unscrews to give 50 mm or 78 mm lengths (+ the 55ish for a DSLR spacing giving 105 or 133 as needed for reducer or no reducer)

Doesn't answer the lp filter question though :hmh:

15 hours ago, Ken82 said:

The baader "protective t ring " will give you internal spacing to fit an Idas lp filter whilst retaining the spacing . This is what I use with my edge 

Ken, can't seem to locate the baader protective t rin for Nikon, would you mind giving me the link to that? Thanks mate

14 hours ago, knobby said:

Just had a Google, looks like the edge T adaptor unscrews to give 50 mm or 78 mm lengths (+ the 55ish for a DSLR spacing giving 105 or 133 as needed for reducer or no reducer)

Doesn't answer the lp filter question though :hmh:

Knobby, mate i thought that the T-adapter has 48mm spacing but you're right, it does unscrew but not sure what do i need to make it fit the filter. You're correct in saying that without the reducer it's 133.5mm back focus and when the reducer is introduced, the back focus is dropped down to 105mm. 

On 08/10/2016 at 09:46, Ken82 said:

Ah really sorry souls I just assumed baader also did this for Nikon , I use a canon 6d and 70d. Perhaps send baader an email as it may be in the pipeline ?? 

It's ok mate,  no need to be sorry :) you did get me looking in to this :)

Archived