Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pier

cosmojaydee

Any advice on using this magnificent piece of scrap iron . I have just acquired this rather large steel box section 200 x 200 1.4m in length, as you can see it has a plate on one end pre drilled and an open end , question is do I bolt it to a concrete base using the end plate or do I flip it sink the open end into concrete and use the end plate ( using the "rat box" method) to attach me AZ EQ6 mount. Any idea's or thoughts most welcome. 

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

I agree with Peter, I'd look to add a larger plate at the bottom to secure it to the ground (concrete base).  A smaller plate at the top would then allow you to easily attach a mount adapter either bespoke or DIY (car brake disc type).  An agricultural blacksmith or a small fabrication shop should be able to do the cutting and welding for you.  To avoid the rats-nest you could have a circular hole cut into the top of the pier - a blacksmith or fabricator would make easy work of that.   Looks like a nice sturdy post, good find. Is the height ok for your setup? 

Jim

ps apologies re the size of the photographs, I really need to find out how to reduce photographs down.

large.57f556048593f_PierFloorPlate.JPGlarge.57f556131b33b_PierTop.JPG

cosmojaydee I've just gone out and measured my pier which supports an AZEQ6 and it's 140 mm square and by the looks of your photograph you have a thicker wall.  I think you have the makings of a really good pier there if you can get the welding done easily enough.  Good luck with it. :)

Jim

Yep this looks like a good starting point for a home made pier.  I had mine made my a local fabricator and have it bolted down using Chem bolts into the concrete base.  It works well.  My pier adapter came from JTW Astronomy (Via amazon)  but they don't have them listed at the moment.  They were the cheapest around at the time.

I took my pier to a car spray shop and they did a fantastic job and sprayed the inside with wax oil to prevent rusting.

HTH  John

14-pieradapter.jpg
thumb_PC267542_1024.jpg

Thanks for the advice and tips, the weight of this pier makes transportation difficult , it's a two man lift and I only have a small hatchback for transport . I like the idea of a hole at the side of the pier to avoid a rat box . The pier has been outside as seen on the photo, and even in high winds, this thing aint for budging . I will try and source a fabricator and hopefully get it sorted 

Archived