Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon EOS550D First Light

Just took delivery of a new (secondhand) 550D in absolute mint condition.  So I couldn't resist dashing out last night for a few first light test shots to push it's limits to find the maximum exposure length using the stock lens.  Both shots are just tripod based, no tracking and rush processed so are rough and noisy.  First impressions are really positive and can't wait to hook it up to a driven mount.  Also got Backyard EOS to partner the camera.  And I must say they work superb in partnership and can't wait for some serious winter imaging.  Both shots are 20sec at 20mm and iso 6400.

Dave...

IMG_3438.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

Thanks everyone.  Yes. Unfortunately light pollution and some recent additions to the street lighting has seriously compromised the viewing from my garden.  Apart from scope based imaging I plan to do widefield and nightscapes.  I already have the stock 18-55mm f/4-5.4 and a 55-200mm f/4.  Yesterday I picked up a 24mm f/2.8 for the more artistic nightscapes.  I do have an old 500mm f/5.4 catadioptric lens which needs a converter ring for this canon.  I feel good things are going to come out of this lens.

And of course now I've just bought new kit it's gone cloudy and windy in the evenings.  About par for the course. :evil3:

Dave...

Archived