Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Party in Pennsylvania! June 22-26

I was quite serious when I mentioned this (Cherry Springs Star Party) as a destination for British Astronomers earlier this year. The fees for the camp itself are $37 for a single, $57 for a family. There were 350 - 400 amateur astronomers at the party last year. It didn't seem all that crowded.

There will be opportunities to buy stuff at lower prices than you are likely to see at home, and dark skies like I doubt you experience in any part of Britain. If these guys see you have come all the way from Britain, they will worship at your feet. Americans are nothing, if not hospitable.

There are decent hotels within easy reach of the park, and the food in town isn't too bad. The beer is American, but there's nothing I can do about that.

I would suggest you consider flying in to Buffalo, and hiring a car. One of the New York airports, or Newark, would be a good second choice, depending on the all-in costs.

The site for the star party is: http://www.astrohbg.org/s4/index.php

WH could I PM you my wife's phone number so that you can have a little chat with her. She might except it coming from you :lol:

Martin

OK, try this. You fly in Monday, spend a couple days shppping, sightseeing, and taking in Broadway shows in New York. Hire a car on Thursday and drive to Cherry Springs (about 5hours) and stay in one of the local motels (There is a good one not far from the park.) Do the local sightseeing in daytime, as northern Pennsylvania is beautiful, and also go to events at the star party. Drive to New England on Sunday, take in a little of Boston, Plymouth colony, Cape Cod, and drive back to NY by Wednesday, then fly home. Complete vacation, and she'll hardly notice she was there for a star party.

Mrs. Warthog isn't coming.

WH I would love to come over there I have a brother living Stateside could marry the two together seeing him and going there to the starcamp its just a couple of things getting in the way if I can sort them out then I may well be there

Where's a Wormhole when you need one?

Archived