Black stuff

Martin 2

Now that it is mostly excepted that galaxys have massive black holes at the centre, is it not possible that the fact that the stars in galaxys dont fly off into space is more to do with the mass of the black hole rather than dark matter and energy.

Although we understand what a black hole is and how they accure when we get on down to the understanding of a singlarity things are not so straight forward, could it not be that this singlarity may be in some way producing the extra mass needed, or indeed the effect of extra mass. Maybe if these black holes produce wormholes then perhaps graverty is leeking through into the galaxy (Excuse any bad spelling)

Martin 2

I read a book on this a few months back by Kip Thorne, and the speed/mass/black hole thing has been allowed for.

Whatevers causing the galaxies to not fly off, is thought to be either outside or mingled in the galaxy.

There was a good Horizon on this last week.

I saw the Horizon thing and enjoyed it. I have problems with the notion of making up all the necessary mass with dark matter - seems like a cheat to me. Could be all non-baryonic or whatever it's called and again it could be to do with religion. I can't get my head round either of these explanations.

It could also be that the shape of the galaxies only looks like the stars are going round each other, we've not been watching for vary long now have we?

I'm the kind of guy who likes simple reasons for things happening, like every star has a big lump of really heavy stuff in the middle that we can't detect by spectroscopic techniques.

I'm going to stop guessing now and go to work :lol::(

Captain Chaos

I blackhole would not be the centre of the galaxy, as the centre of the the galaxy would be the centre of all mass combined. The Blackhole may hold 99.999999999% of all mass but this is still not enough for it to be the centre point. Also 99.999999999 is still a small number in scale of a galaxy.

I didn't see the program but I have to disagree with this, if there were a blackhole within a galaxy that had 99.999999999% of the mass then it HAS to be centre of gravity. Because the is only 0.00000001% elsewhere in the galaxy...

Archived