Delite in a dob? -> bought a Delos!

Davesellars

I'm looking to bridge a gap using my 12" dob from my 19mm Panoptic to my 11mm ES82.  14mm \ 15mm focal length would be fine.  I have a TV Plossl which is nice but I find very restricted with the dob.  Considering the Delite would be par-focal with the Panoptic I thought this would be a decent choice however the FOV is 62 degrees (which is considerably better than 50) I don't see many other options.   The ES82 14mm I've discounted because of its reported field curvature issue.

Anyone have a Delite and using in a dob (around f/5) - what's the view like?  Does it feel restricted?  I like the comfort factor of such an EP and if the optical quality is up there with the best i won't mind restricting the FOV some (have to sacrifice something I guess...).

I just picked up a 14mm Morpheus to replace my 14m Pentax XL due to the latter's field curvature.  So far I've been quite happy with it.  It might have a bit of field curvature, but that might have been the scope.  The jury is still out until I can get more time with it under that stars.  Stars appear to be pinpoint nearly to the field stop.  Again, will need more testing in various scopes.

The field stop isn't quite as sharp as in my 10mm Delos or my XWs/XLs, but that 76 degree field is impressive.  It is much easier to hold than the 82 degree fields in my Nagler T4s.  Buying it from the UK saved me $60 over US prices and $160 over a 14mm Delos, and it's parfocal with my XWs/XLs, unlike the 14mm Delos which focuses 1/4" inward.

I've very recently acquired my 2nd Delos - the 17.3mm which I bought from an SGL member. the 14mm and 17.3mm Delos are not par focal with the rest of the Delos line but that suits me because they are forming a set with shorter FL Pentax XW's which reach focus at a place close to where the longer FL Delos do.

I've used the 17.3 in my F/5.3 12" dob and the performance was excellent. The FoV is a little more restrained / constrained than my Ethos eyepieces but I don't intend to use them together. Otherwise the view through the Delos is pretty expansive (and possibly expensive :wink:).

They are excellent eyepieces and very comfortable to use.

Yes. They are rubbish.....

I have the 8,10,12 & 17.3mm. The 10mm arived on Friday and is still awaiting first light. I couldn't streatch to the Ethos 21mm (again) for my long eyepiece (which is also Parfocal with the 17.3 Delos). So opted for the ES 20mm 100°, which is very very nearly as good as the Ethos, but won't lead to instant bankruptcy.

Don't forget the first light report!

Paul

6 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Excellent choice of EP! I have the 14mm Delos (which replaced my 14mm Morpheus), and it is simply excellent. Really comfortable and superb image quality.

Do tell what you didn't like about the 14mm Morpheus compared to the 14mm Delos.

6 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Do tell what you didn't like about the 14mm Morpheus compared to the 14mm Delos.

The Morpheus seemed to show field curvature in the outer part of the FOV. I am particularly sensitive to that, I find. I saw the same effect in the APM 80mm F/6, and the C8, so it must have come from the EP, not the scope, because I spotted none with the Nagler 17T4

Just now, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

The Morpheus seemed to show field curvature in the outer part of the FOV. I am particularly sensitive to that, I find. I saw the same effect in the APM 80mm F/6, and the C8, so it must have come from the EP, not the scope, because I spotted none with the Nagler 17T4

Yes, I just got a 14mm Morpheus and I'm thinking I may be seeing some as well.  I also have the 17T4 and 12T4 and 14mm XL to compare to.  I have a 10mm Delos which definitely doesn't have any.

Archived