Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Impressive Meteor!

Droogie 2001

Did anyone see a huge Meteor trail in the sky about 5 minutes ago? (23.35 on Friday 23rd- South East UK)

I thought a neighbour had turn a light on only to turn and see an amazing streak across the sky. The most impressive meteor I have ever seen!

It was in the East to South East region.

Would be interested to see if anyone captured it. It was so bright I am sure it would light up on a CCTV camera.

Yes I saw a very impressive meteor about the same time. I am in Essex and saw a thicker than usual luminous white slow meteor heading from north slowly south throu square of Pegasus. It ended dramatically in a flash of green and blue. The white streak alone Must have been  mag -5 brighter than Venus.

just seen 3 more normal ones in last half hour again coming from the north headin south and south east....

8 hours ago, Altair said:

Yes I saw a very impressive meteor about the same time. I am in Essex and saw a thicker than usual luminous white slow meteor heading from north slowly south throu square of Pegasus. It ended dramatically in a flash of green and blue. The white streak alone Must have been  mag -5 brighter than Venus.

just seen 3 more normal ones in last half hour again coming from the north headin south and south east....

Thanks Altair. Yes that sounds like the same one. Just checked my Sky Safari App and ran through with the same time settings and yes it passed through Pegasus. Glad someone else saw it as I had a look on a number of UK Meteor websites over the weekend and have not found any other record of it.
I also spoke to a neighbour yesterday and they saw a bright flash light up their bedroom at some point in the night on Friday, understandably they didn't read the time so no way of confirming.

Anyway I was so taken aback by the flash that I had to ask the question on the SGL forums. :icon_biggrin:

9 minutes ago, bejay1957 said:

VirtualAstro twitter feed had some cam footage of a fireball on Friday evening

Thanks Bejay. That link has then taken me to many other sites with footage of the Fireball! Lots of sightings. Apparently it was seen from as far as 200km away :shocked:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/meteor?src=hash

The Flickr link below shows it nicely even though the clock is exactly an one hour out. (I guess not on BST)

Bright Meteor 23rd September 2016

Archived