NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Miscellaneous DSLR close ups

johnfosteruk

Although the seeing was poor last night I took a few batches of close up data with the 2x Barlow.

The 2x is the one that came with my Skywatcher and is frankly 'orrible but the seeing was so poor 2.5x was not very easy on the eye!! 

Given those factors, and the hazy wispy stuff I'm quite pleased with the results shot from a DSLR. Can't wait to get me a planetary cam though.

Various batches of data, 50% of 80 stills each, 1/80s ISO 200. Stacked and processed with the usual tools.

2 and 3 are a little on the soft side still but I don't want to overcook, also I should probably orient them properly.

Plato and environs.

Plato and environs.png

The Southern highlands.

Clavius and environs.png

Same but closer (crop)

Clavius and environs close up.png

Yep, a very nice job John, I enjoyed the  the first best, it looks very sharp.
the higher mag ones are good too of course, but seeing needs to be perfect for very crisp hi res. results.
If you are intending acquiring a vid cam. individual frames stacked using only the best quality ones, will greatly 
improve the results of the high  resolution frames.  I'm pleased to see the moon getting attention from imagers.
I regard it highly as an object for quality imaging. It can never be dismissed as an easy subject by any means.

You're very kind Barkis.

10 minutes ago, barkis said:

It can never be dismissed as an easy subject by any means.

That'll be right!!! :) so much to consider and so much to get done right.

Reference your comment about individual frames that's the only way, when I capture video on the SLR I do that and even with stills capture I bin those that aren't good enough.

The software may well be able to discern the frames with the highest contrast or total brightness etc but that doesn't necessarily equate to the sharpest detail captured. 

Archived