NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quick session with Hyades

johnfosteruk

I've just been out quickly in the garden testing the new little Bresser 70mm F10 I bought to take on hols. It really is cheap and cheerful but it's light and can be carried fully assembled on the mount and it's going to be a great challenge teasing as much out of the sky as I can with it under proper dark skies. This scope will then be for the kids, once I decide on something of better quality for a grab and go.

Different story in the urban back yard though :) I aimed for Aldebaran, the seeing is moderate as evidenced by Aldebaran twinkling/sputtering colour furiously. with the 25mm a good portion of the cluster is in the FOV and the dozen or so brightest stars are plainly visible at first. Need to pan around though to view the full cluster. There's enough contrast in this little scope for £50, quite sharp and well focused and with a little time to adjust and settle in the fainter stars in the cluster start to become evident.

Theta-2 Tauri and Theta-2 make a lovely pair with 2 showing yellow colour and although I had to move the FOV around to see it there's an empty patch clearly dividing the North and South of the cluster.

'twas only a quickie but very enjoyable, I wasn't expecting much from this little scope, but I was pleasantly surprised and had a nice short session.

Archived