NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lazer finder

Ok I know they raise hackles in some quarters but having groveled on my knees trying to find Vega in my 90 degree finderscope in order to get my reticle ep on it to do an align I sort of wanted one NOW!!!!

Just to point 10inch dob in approximatly the right direction.

A t 69 groveling on the deck trying to sight down the scope is not very much fun.

Can they still be used...

Where can I get one?

Now will someone help me fill my glass and find my specs somewhere on the freaking deck.....?

I'm not keen on these things myself but 365 stock em.

http://www.365astronomy.com/Laser-Finderscopes/

I would advise only turning it on very briefly and making sure there are no aircraft around if you don't want to get into trouble.

There was a motion to ban these things in the UK, I don't think it has gotten anywhere yet though.

Still legal I think, certainly the low powered ones (5 milliwatts?).  Loads available on line.  Aim well away from any air paths.  Get one where you have to hold the button for it to be on, that way you won't accidentally have it on for ages.

I know what you mean about pointing at zenith objects, it's a right [removed word] getting under the finder.  I'm not bothering with Cygnus at the moment until it gets past midnight - it's too much hard work.  Probably should use a camping matt to kneel on but still not fun. 

Got mine from here:

http://www.megagreen.co.uk/

Totally agree about all the hazards mentioned and why idiots should not be allowed to have them. So I can't understand why it's taking so long to get a licensing system going.

Oh. forgot to say, your specs are there and you'll have to fill your own glass. Just point the laser at it to find it ... :icon_biggrin:

Archived