Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An excellent couple of hours

Astro Imp

I have just spent the last two hours or so exploring a fascinating area in the southern highlands.

The seeing wasn't the best but by taking time there were moments when this improved and there was plenty of detail to be teased out.

The following observations were made in my back garden using a SW 150P using Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces mainly the 5mm giving x150.

I started the evening just south west of Schiller(this crater was too far from the terminator to offer much) 

First was Phocylides which showed a wealth of detail with a sharp jagged shadow reaching across the floor from the north east. Time was also spent on the neighbouring Nasmyth and Wargentin. These three craters are worthy of prolonged observation.

The star of the evening was undoubtedly Schickard. I spent a long time gradually seeing more of this magnificent crater and it's surrounds. I noticed a group of craters to the south west right on the terminator, there seemed to be a very bright almost straight feature running through these towards Schickard H and K. Using the Virtual Moon Atlas it seemed that this could be Vallis Inghirami but wasn't completely sure as the VMA was showing this feature continuing across the terminator at the time I was observing. I would be pleased to hear more experienced observers' comments.

Altogether a most satisfying session.

Thanks for taking the trouble to read my jottings.

Archived