Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unattended Observatory

daz

Nice one, Daz :smile:

I look forward to watching this progress in the coming months.

I'm sure your other half will be delighted that you will have lots more time to do extra work around the house once the automation is fully up and running :lol:

OK, so I've started with getting the software all connected and configured....

First job was to completely reload the observatory PC after an OS refresh... I found a very useful tool (details to follow when I go find it again!) that downloaded a stack of updates, .Net updates, C++ updates, and then you just run it and let it do its thing. Makes the final Windows Update much quicker...

I then installed all the drivers and software. Ran each one to let it register components, create folders and whatever else goes on - and then a final set of windows updates!

Then it was onto the configs. I was able to export EQASCOM, PHD2 and SGP but forgot to do Maxim, so had to do that from scratch, and CCD Commander. They didn't take too long, however.

So, the PC is now all reloaded and ready to go - but with Kelling just around the corner, I need to get ready for that!

As for the wiring and hardware, I've not really done much on that apart from thinking about cable runs, position of flat-field panel and been thinking about how to activate the flat-field panel. I could do it via magnetic switches on the mount, or scripting - but I'll wait until I get the PC interface cards before I finally decide!

The planning of all this is just as much fun as the actual doing!! :)

Archived