Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepieces for 4" F11 achormatic

pez_espada

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome Carlos

I have 2 F15 classic achromats, an 80mm and a 102mm and use modern and classic eyepieces. The field of view of modern eyepieces help finding objects yes but a good wide 25 plus classic will help.

I regularly use a set of circle T orthoscopics which I find superb performers but they do take a little getting used to. These are augmented by a nice big 40mm plossl (celestron) which I call my finder eyepiece, which I use if I am having difficulty locating objects via the finder.

However I used to use a set of Meade 5000 plossls and a couple of TMB planetary eyepieces which were good performers.

I often use my Televue Delite eyepieces when nobody is looking though :icon_biggrin: and these work exceptionally well

On 15/9/2016 at 17:31, F15Rules said:

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your kind comments. To answer your specific questions:

Since you already had this very same F11 model what you can say about it as compared for example to your F16? Will I experience some of the previously mentioned benefits?

Well, my F16 is a vintage Towa Topic 80mm Japanese refractor which has been reworked by Moonraker Telescopes of London. You can see it here, along with a Bresser AR127l I used to have. The Moonraker Topic F16 is all in polished aluminium..

There is a guy in Belgium who build a nice Istar-based 4"F12 frac for around EUR1000,- only the OTA so even when I think this may be a superb scope and closer to a classic design at F12 I though it was a bit over my budget for tipping my toes in the classic refractor world. Maybe my next frac though! That's the reason of the 102F11. At around BP380,- for the new OTA I though it would be a good starting point.

I think you are referring here to FTR Telescopes, made by Frank Thuys? If you ever do decide to trade up your scope, I would go for the 5" if he still offers it. The Istar is still an achromat, so that 4" F12 will not show views that are much different to your 4" F11. The 5", however, would be a real step up, and in my opinion a good 5" refractor, whether apo or good achromat, is pretty much the perfect all round scope :-).

I think I will try some BCO (at EUR65,-) or the Fujiyama (at 99,-) and then go from that. The BCOs seem to be parafocal which could be a plus if you eventually plan to buy the set . However according what I read here the Fujiyama have Japanese optics versus Chinese on the Baaders (?).  At that prices  which would you get?

I would go for the BCO. They are excellent, lightweight and although the Fuji are better made, the BCOs are fine and optically in my opinion pretty much the same in performance. The BCO 6mm and 10mm also have a volcano top design which is, I find, more comfortable in use. The BCOs are made in china, correct, but trust me, the optics are just as good as the Japanese made ones - and I am a BIG fan of Japanese glass!

Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy.

By the way, your written English is fantastic!!!

Dave

Thanks for the advice guys, I have made an order on the ES16mm68º that was indeed on sale at bresser.de (thanks for pointing to it @Ricochet) , and will follow the Dave's suggestion and get the BOC 6mm and 10mm in my local shop as soon as I can come around to it. So I would end up with an initial set to go with the 102F11 consisting of:

- ES2468:                 providing 46.6X  and    TFOV: 1.46º

- ES1668:                providing 70X      and    TFOV: 0.98º

- BOC 10mm:         providing 112X    and    TFOV: 0.46º (allegedly BOCs have an increased AFOV of 52º)

- BOC 6mm:           providing 186.6X  and   TFOV: 0.28º (allegedly BOCs have an increased AFOV of 52º)

- SV F50 finder (on the way) that provides 9X and TFOV of around 5º (Stellarvue claims it is close to 6º)

- (Oh yeah, then the two cheap SW 10 and 25mm "Super Plössle" that I will try to sell quickly :))

So I think this is an good starting point for my long refractor adventures, Many thanks again.

Carlos

PS About my English, yeah thanks Dave! I still miss some "s" here and there at the end the verbs when conjugating the singular third person forms though!

Good choices there Carlos:hello2:!

The BCOs do have wider field than ordinary orthos, but although this means they can be slightly "soft" at the edges, I think the larger "view" is worth it, and especially in your 4" F11 I doubt you will notice it.

Good luck and do let us know what you think once you have tried them all out..and pictures too please!

Dave

19 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Good choices there Carlos:hello2:!

The BCOs do have wider field than ordinary orthos, but although this means they can be slightly "soft" at the edges, I think the larger "view" is worth it, and especially in your 4" F11 I doubt you will notice it.

Good luck and do let us know what you think once you have tried them all out..and pictures too please!

Dave

I will keep you all posted of course! But this will take some time. I will be ordering the mount (Ercole AZ + Berlebach tripod :headbang:) on  next month at teleskop-service.de and the finder is coming from the U.S West Coast by ordinary post so it should be somewhere crossing the States right now heading to he East Cost to cross then the Atlantic to Europe. It can take around 2-4 weeks to arrive to Barcelona, I've been told. I hope to have all set up by mid October so be prepared for some stormy weather by then and of course some pictures of the scope! 

• 1 month later...
On 19/9/2016 at 14:15, pez_espada said:

I will keep you all posted of course! But this will take some time. I will be ordering the mount (Ercole AZ + Berlebach tripod :headbang:) on  next month at teleskop-service.de and the finder is coming from the U.S West Coast by ordinary post so it should be somewhere crossing the States right now heading to he East Cost to cross then the Atlantic to Europe. It can take around 2-4 weeks to arrive to Barcelona, I've been told. I hope to have all set up by mid October so be prepared for some stormy weather by then and of course some pictures of the scope! 

As promised  here you can find some pictures  of my double stars setup. Finally the tripod and the mount have arrived and I was able to put them together this afternoon. And tonight is kind of clear-ish here! (after many days of cloudy nights). So I'm prepared to try those Baader Classic Orthos in my F11 scope. Working in my observing list right now!

Archived