NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Photoshop CS5 on 4K monitor, or start saving for PixInsight

Magnus_e

A couple days ago I got my new AOC 4K monitor. It is a lower priced monitor and not a Pro NEC or similar screen, but I'm happy with it's performance so far. Had to download a new hi res desktop image for it, so glad I could find the 400 hour Orion image :)

However Photoshop CS5 that I'm currently using is no good on 4K monitors from what I can find. The issue is that the UI do not scale. As this image reveals, it is impossible to see the menus, etc..

photoshop.PNG

There is a workaroun that i found that makes PS run as in 1920x1080, but one of the reasons I wanted a 4k monitor was for image editing. http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

As there is a lot of people here prosessing images, I just wanted to see if anyone knows of another / betther solution that the one I found, but I guess its time to start saving for PixInsight.

By the way, anyone using PI on a 4k monitor? From there pages it should be ample support for it, but I used up my trial a while ago, so cannot check for myself.

Thanks, Magnus.

11 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I couldn't manage 4K the text on my lappy is only just readable as it is at 1080p.

Alan

The scaling of text, icons, aso in Windows works pretty well, so most apps have the ui scaled to a comfortable size. However some programs (like PS CS5) reports that it supports UHD and windows will not scale it, as it's up to the program to do the scaling when it supports UHD.

In PS newer than CS6, if I remember correctly, there is an experimental feature to scale the ui 2x, and everything works just great. I guess CS6 and earlier is considere to old for Adobe to apply the patch.

On 13/09/2016 at 21:22, Magnus_e said:

By the way, anyone using PI on a 4k monitor? From there pages it should be ample support for it, but I used up my trial a while ago, so cannot check for myself.

Thanks, Magnus.

Magnus,

I'm not sure if there are differences in screen scaling function between Windows and Apple OSX but I am happily running Both PixInsight and Photoshop CS6 on the 27" 5K Retina iMac (v10.11.6 El Capitan) without any problems.

Both screen shots are full frame.

Although the icons are quite small the 27" screen is quite large so I guess the two balance each other out, when you look at these screen shots on a small laptop or desktop monitor you get the impression that the tools and icons are too small to work with but when you sit a few feet away from the 27" screen the tools and icons just look "normal"

The only annoying feature I find with Photoshop CS6 on the 5K retina display is when you are using a 1 or 2 pixel sized brush as you move away from the image to change tools the "cursor" gets lost on the desktop, it does change colour but at only 1 or 2 pixel tool size you just can't see it until you move right out of the PS desktop and click on the Mac desktop when the cursor will change back to a pointer, then you can move back to PS and know where the cursor is again. Using tools that are 3 pixel or more is not a problem, you can track those fairly easily. I don't know if they have fixed that in later versions of Photoshop.

William.

Just now, martin_h said:

I use 2 monitors, a cheep dell and a 4k....I open PS 5 on the Dell then drag the image I'm working on over to the "good" monitor, that way I can get an uncluttered image to work on and the lower res screen just holds the tools. 

I tried this, but it did not work for me. I have the 4k display scaling at 175% and my second monitor 1920x1080 to scale at 100%, and the window just rescales when dragging it from one monnitor to another. Also tried setting the 1080 display @ 175% scaling, but it made no difference.

However I tried scaling my 4k display to 250% and photoshop worked great. I still had the other monitor at 100% so I cold use that for watching / reading tutorials aso, when prosessing a image. Just wish I could set photoshop to use 2x scaling, but that is only a experimental feature in newer PS versions.

Just now, Oddsocks said:

Magnus,

I'm not sure if there are differences in screen scaling function between Windows and Apple OSX but I am happily running Both PixInsight and Photoshop CS6 on the 27" 5K Retina iMac (v10.11.6 El Capitan) without any problems.

Both screen shots are full frame.

Although the icons are quite small the 27" screen is quite large so I guess the two balance each other out, when you look at these screen shots on a small laptop or desktop monitor you get the impression that the tools and icons are too small to work with but when you sit a few feet away from the 27" screen the tools and icons just look "normal"

The screenshot of your PS looks correctly sized on my 28" monitor, but on my windows and CS5 it's another story.

First screenshot is at 175% scaling, where all other apps looks good

photoshop.PNG

Second image is 250% scaling, that works with PS, but makes all other apps look huge.

photoshop-250.PNG

Archived