NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Right ascension motor for german eq. mount

FrenchyArnaud

After I tried my very first pictures with the celestron 114, I thought I should try with the 150mm.

But it's not computerized or even motorized. I saw plenty of references stating you can simply plug an electrical engine on that, but I am unable to locate the proper engine. Besides, I read EQ1, EQ2, EQ3...EQ6 but I don't really know what it refers to.

Attached are two pics of the mount, where the engine should be attached, if someone is able to point me in the right direction that would be awesome :)

gep1.jpg

geq2.jpg

Salut Arnaud, EQ1,2,3,5,6,8 refers to the model and size of the mount, with 1 being the smallest and lightest therefore lowest capacity and lowest stability.

You seem to have an EQ1.

In all honesty I would not try it with a 150mm telescope as this will be too heavy for the mount. I would also not spend money on the clock drive for this mount but would put it towards a second hand EQ3 mount that will take the weight, just.

With a little effort and practice it is possible to take some very good images without motor drives, Milky Way, Moon, Constellations etc, then if you get hooked you could look at upgrading down the line.

AP, can get very expensive very quickly, but entry level is more than possible and satisfying with fairly basic kit. EQ3, 150mm, decent webcam (life cam or some such) perhaps a DSLR and a laptop/computer.

Rich

Definitely an EQ1 mount and +1 on the advice given already. In fact, having owned a motor driven eq3 in the past, I'd go further and say you need to be looking at an eq5 as a minimum with a 150mm scope. You will be wasting money developing an eq1 mount - eq3 will get you pictures of the moon and larger planets - eq5 will get you started with imaging more dslr targets. 

11 minutes ago, Beeko said:

Definitely an EQ1 mount and +1 on the advice given already. In fact, having owned a motor driven eq3 in the past, I'd go further and say you need to be looking at an eq5 as a minimum with a 150mm scope. You will be wasting money developing an eq1 mount - eq3 will get you pictures of the moon and larger planets - eq5 will get you started with imaging more dslr targets. 

The mount is known as an EQ3 or EQ3-1, but not to be confused with Skywatcher's own EQ3 mount. The is the RA drive you need for it. The mount is normally supplied with the cheaper 150/750 or 150/1400 telescopes sold on ebay under brand names such as Event Horizon, Seben and a few others.

13 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The mount is normally supplied with the cheaper 150/750 or 150/1400 telescopes sold on ebay under brand names such as Event Horizon, Seben and a few others

Good guess, it's actually a 150-750 Event horizon. Even though it's obviously cheap stuff (basically for free in local ads) it's a huge improvement in stability over the celestron... Besides, it allows me to discover the raging frustration of trying to handle an equatorial mount (which it seems to me, is a necessary part of the learning curve) 

Thanks for the link, I will dig into that straight away.

31 minutes ago, Beeko said:

I'd go further and say you need to be looking at an eq5 as a minimum with a 150mm scope

Unfortunately, a motorized/computerized eq5+ is definitely not in order for the time being. As I said, this is already a 150mm f5.

As for the DSLR and all the photographic gear, I have much more than needed ;)

In fact, when I see pictures taken with a 80mn refractor and a prehistoric DSLR I can only admit that the gear is not the issue, the know-how is. So investing in top-notch gear does not really make sense until I have hit the limits of what my current gear can do - and I am nowhere near this point.

3 hours ago, FrenchyArnaud said:

So investing in top-notch gear does not really make sense until I have hit the limits of what my current gear can do - and I am nowhere near this point.

There is nothing better to hear than someone having their feet well grounded :icon_salut:

So many beginners want to rush in and in truth have no idea if the hobby is for them or not. Like with anything in life you achieve greater things if you start from the bottom and work your way up. This way you a fully aware of all the capabilities. I have seen some truly superb images that were done with nothing more than a 150mm newt on a ST4 modded driven EQ3. Testament that imaging doesn't have to cost a fortune if you know what you are doing with the kit you have.

The EQ2 / 150mm set up will not be with out it's challenges but I admire your approach and wish you the very best success. It is though a shame I didn't this post sooner as I have just hacked to death a drive that would have suited you perfectly but on a positive note FLO currently have one in the clearance section which I believe would suit your mount. You would have to double check with FLO first though. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/clearance_skywatcher-ra-motor-drive-for-eq2_58142.html

Thanks for the vote of confidence Spaceboy.

In fact Peter was right, after digging from his indications, it's actually an EQ3 by seben. This one to be exact : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seben-EQ3-telescope-mount-including-aluminium-tripod/380453559697. You'll notice it is "sold" on ebay because I bought it. I will use it to retrofit the legs of the celestron, whose tripod is way too low for confort and way too flimsy - and yes it's doable, I have tried here at home.

I will also cannibalize the second much needed weight for the Seben.

(If someone wants the mount itself... it will collect dust anyways.)

I also found the engine on ebay substantially cheeper than on the official retailer site. So both mounts will now benefit from an upgrade :

- the celestron 114clm will have a much sturdier and much higher tripod

- the seben 150 will have a RA drive and a second weight.

The total cost is (almost) neglectible, around £120.

Apologies, the mount looks like the absolute double of a skywatcher eq1 which I saw a new member of our Astro club with and was asked to help her set it up. 

Absollutely wise to eek out everything you can from your current equipment and I also agree that Astrophotography needn't cost a fortune to get started in but having looked at the mount on the link provided, I think you'll end up frustrated pretty quickly. 

Well, I have received the new Seben EQ3 and as anticipated, I did the double upgrade of Giovanni and Ewin (Yes they have little names. Can you deal with that?)

Edwin (aka Celestron 114LCM) has received the tripod from Giovanni (aka Seben/EventHorizon 150mm).

Giovanni has received the new set of legs, part of the new mount, and an extra weight.

In the photo below, you can see that both EP are now about 155/160 cm above ground.

Edwin is MUCH more stable - it's night and day with the flimsy original celestron tripod. As importantly, I can now observe in its EP without breaking my back (the original setup placed the EP at about 120cm above ground - if that. What did Celestron think about???)

Giovanni is much more stable too, thanks to a wider angle of the tripod legs, and at long last, it is balanced ! End of the raging frustration trying to screw/unscrew while aimng to keep it in place... the comfort of use is LY ahead of what it was... I can't believe that just an extra weight makes so much difference ! It also has his new 6*30 (so much better than the stupid 5*24) and it's waiting for its RA drive and 9*50 to be delivered....

upgrade.JPG

Archived