Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What do I look at tonight?

pipnina

Looking for something I've overlooked previously but should be relatively easily found. I will be observing from 10PM tonight to 11 (probably not later).

The darkest thing I've seen is the veil, I don't have any filters at the moment. The best areas of my sky are SEE-W, the north is the worst part. 

What things are possibly overlooked by most in this sort of region of sky?

Thanks for the help!

~pip

Pip, if you have access to a decent southern horizon, the Milky Way and all its lovely treasures are there ready to be viewed.

M8, M20, M16, M17 plus plenty more, have you seen all these?

image.png

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Pip, if you have access to a decent southern horizon, the Milky Way and all its lovely treasures are there ready to be viewed.

M8, M20, M16, M17 plus plenty more, have you seen all these?

That's a good idea, actually, I did get to see the triffid when I saw the lagoon, omega and eagle at my last session. The M22 cluster might be worth a look as well. Thank you :)

Looking at stellarium, might the Wizard nebula be a good target? I'm currently looking at the wizard, M71 & the dumbbell (maybe he crescent, too). 

24 minutes ago, pipnina said:

That's a good idea, actually, I did get to see the triffid when I saw the lagoon, omega and eagle at my last session. The M22 cluster might be worth a look as well. Thank you :)

Looking at stellarium, might the Wizard nebula be a good target? I'm currently looking at the wizard, M71 & the dumbbell (maybe he crescent, too). 

I've never seen or tried for the wizard, I've always had the feeling it's pretty tough visually and more of an imaging target but may be wrong.

M22 is a good one, M28 is also nice plus M11 of course. Just so many targets in that part of the sky.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I've never seen or tried for the wizard, I've always had the feeling it's pretty tough visually and more of an imaging target but may be wrong.

M22 is a good one, M28 is also nice plus M11 of course. Just so many targets in that part of the sky.

I just got back!

I got there a bit late for the low hanging nebulae, (nearly 11 instead of nearly 10, I waited because of some clouds) but once we got there we were quite surprised- the seeing was quite good in comparison to recent sessions. The first thing we tried to look at was the lagoon, but it wasn't as impressive as two (or was it four) weeks ago when it was much higher up. We had a look at Sagitta (m71 & the dumbbell). M71 was a bit fainter than I had expected, but once in the 24mm it was easy to see, it looked mottly but sort of blended in with the rest of the milky way around it. In the 10mm it looked a bit more impressive, with stars individually discernible but the object still framed. The dumbbell was quite an experience; relatively bright, easily identified by its shape and rather large. We also looked at the ring nebula, which was very distinct in the 10mm and possibly showed some hints of colour in the 24mm. We finally looked at M31 & the double cluster, M31 had it's companions visible and I could almost see one of the dust lanes near the core, sort of eating into the light from the center. The double cluster was both relatively dense and bright, with two stars standing out as brighter than the others in the clusters.

I think it was a fairly good night's observing. Thanks for helping out with the object choosing :)

~pip

Well I fell asleep until 0315BST, but managed to peek  outide and  see clear skies through blurry eyes? with the Moon just about to show over the tree line. Now its too late to pull the scope out and let it cool, but my 15x70s are already tripod mounted so they get priority!
the Moon looks very detailed, infact amazing detail, rock steady image and no shimmer, pity the scope was not active?  Betelgeuse and  Aldebaran were clearly visible above my tree line, as was the Pleiades and M31 directly overhead. Views around Ursa Najor obscured by trees.

I also witnessed  an overflight, as it flew through my field of view when viewing M31, turns out to be the  Transavia France B737 on its way from Keflavik to orly, Paris, and an unknown bright  satellite  heading South to North, can't trace it in Stellarium, then more clouds by 0350 so back inside to write this session . At least I've seen something, says much for the poor conditions I have suffered for a very long time!

Not as good as your own session, but my first time out for many Months.

Archived