eyepiece sets question!!

Dark Lawton

1 minute ago, wookie1965 said:

I did say he xcels are good and the BST`s as others have said Alan at Sky`s the limit (Skies-unlimited) is a cracking bloke, I collect water in the yard for my fishtank and once dropped my 18mm in I rang Alan he said post it to me and I will clean it and send it back he did and said give some money to charity. Customer service is fantastic.

yeah I added his store to fav on ebay so that where I would be buying from, btw I noticed ya got a 200p dob with a goto mount how do you like it because that my planned next scope

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dark Lawton said:

yeah I added his store to fav on ebay so that where I would be buying from, btw I noticed ya got a 200p dob with a goto mount how do you like it because that my planned next scope

Ive had a couple of teething problems all sorted now I had a 150p of EQ3-2 mount and loved it but needed a GOTO mount for health reasons, This 200p is amazing picking up faint DSO`s globular clusters really nice, not tried it on Planets yet as from my yard cannot see them except Neptune and Uranus have seen Blue and Green marbles, cannot wait get it on Jupiter and Saturn. Im going SGL12 hoping for dark skies give the scope and mount a good run out.

25 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Ive had a couple of teething problems all sorted now I had a 150p of EQ3-2 mount and loved it but needed a GOTO mount for health reasons, This 200p is amazing picking up faint DSO`s globular clusters really nice, not tried it on Planets yet as from my yard cannot see them except Neptune and Uranus have seen Blue and Green marbles, cannot wait get it on Jupiter and Saturn. Im going SGL12 hoping for dark skies give the scope and mount a good run out.

don't know what went wrong with the quote but this it what I plan on getting next with the a to z goto mount http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-flex-tube-synscan-goto-dobsonian-telescope.html

19 minutes ago, Dark Lawton said:

don't know what went wrong with the quote but this it what I plan on getting next with the a to z goto mount http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-flex-tube-synscan-goto-dobsonian-telescope.html

Very nice have make a shroud go round the the tube when extended cut out stray light but you will be amazed at the views. 

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I think so but you can make one out of black material and Velcro, cheaper option make sure good thick black material.

do you have an obv built because I don't or do you just take the 200p out when needed and is that even possible with the mount and size ?

It's interesting that you have a 5SE and are thinking of going to an 8" dobsonian. Thats pretty much exactly the route I took many years back when I was starting out with "proper" scopes :icon_biggrin:

I move my 12" dob in and out of the house as and when I need to so an 8" is no trouble at all.

If you are thinking of having the dob then eyepieces such as the X-Cell LX's and BST Starguiders / Explorers make a bit more sense than plossls because their wider field of view suits dob observing techniques better I feel (ie: less time between nudges with a wider reasonably well corrected field of view).

1 minute ago, John said:

It's interesting that you have a 5SE and are thinking of going to an 8" dobsonian. Thats pretty much exactly the route I took many years back when I was starting out with "proper" scopes :icon_biggrin:

I move my 12" dob in and out of the house as and when I need to so an 8" is no trouble at all.

If you are thinking of having the dob then eyepieces such as the X-Cell LX's and BST Starguiders / Explorers make a bit more sense than plossls because their wider field of view suits dob observing techniques better I feel (ie: less time between nudges with a wider reasonably well corrected field of view).

great thanks I was unsure of moving it or if it would need to be fixed in place and lol it is interesting that way you went to tho I don't think I will get rid of my 5se with it being small and portable, and also thinking  of buying a portable obv tent

24 minutes ago, Dark Lawton said:

do you have an obv built because I don't or do you just take the 200p out when needed and is that even possible with the mount and size ?

No I take the mount and scope out on clear nights Its not that bad took it in car last Friday 100 miles to a mate to help me out with the scope.

12 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

A quick diversion from the topic, but I can't pass it up:

You saw Neptune & Uranus as "Blue and Green marbles..."? That is very interesting to me. I study colour perception, as it's the last Human characteristic to develop (and still is developing), so these two planets are often seen to be reported as different colours by people you ask. Most see Uranus and Neptune, both, as being blue. Others tend to see Uranus a yellow-green. Some even say they see Uranus as being grey. I, personally, see Uranus as a pea-soup Green, and Neptune as icy-blue.

Now back to your regularly-scheduled programme,

Dave

22 hours ago, Reeny said:

It's horses for courses. Initially I didn't like it due to the blackouts. I was finding it difficult to get into a comfortable viewing position with the eyepiece. It seems to be better now that I am used to it.

Are you aware with the BST's you can screw up the top of the eyepiece for better eye position from the lens and so avoiding any chance of black outs ??

....I had one that did not, requiring a tighter grip on the sleeve to get it moving and has never stuck since.  Probably just too tightly assembled during manufacture?
The BST Starguiders are a good budget upgrade for most scopes slower than f/5, but don't let the word budget fool you? just the price is budget, they perform very well ( for my eyes ) on  my f/6 telescope. 

Archived