Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help required combining DLSR RGB and Ha subs

I have spent all afternoon trying many tutorials on combing my DLSR subs with some Ha Data I took a few days later with out much luck. I seem to have problems with the alignment and sizing of the RGB and Ha images. Im trying to use Pixinsight to do it with but no luck. Does anybody have an easy to follow work path or know of an easy to follow tutorial as the ones I have been using rely on you having more than a basic understanding of PI. 

Thanks

PixInsight's star alignment should work.  I used this when combinng Ha data from a scope with a wider FOV from the scope used for my RGB data.   I aligned the RGB composite to the Ha.  What sort of issues are you having?

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

You can use Registar (not free) to align images taken at different times, it only does the one thing but does it really well.

Dave

4 minutes ago, gnomus said:

PixInsight's star alignment should work.  I used this when combinng Ha data from a scope with a wider FOV from the scope used for my RGB data.   I aligned the RGB composite to the Ha.  What sort of issues are you having?

Hi, when i get my Ha image and try to merge it with my RGB I get a msg say that cant be merged due to geometry issues. I have treid playing around with NBRGB combination and it keeps coming up error.

You should get there with PI, though I can't help you with that. I do all this kind of thing in Registar which is a dream of simplicity. If Steve can't get you through the PI hoops then I can recommend Registar. Although it does only do one thing it does it in a nice assortment of variations and does it brilliantly well.

Olly

36 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

No, didnt think it would work, do you align the subs or can you just use the final images?

It won't work without it that is for sure!  You can use the final images.  I made an RGB image and then aligned this to my Ha.  The tutorial on this page are extremely useful: http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorials.html  This one in particular talks about how to use Star Alignment - http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-preparing-monochrome-images-for-colour-combination-and-further-post-processing.html#Section1  He is using monochrome images but you can use your RGB and Ha images in the same way.  

As to combining them, I have not tried this in PI.  I use the "Penrice" method in PS because it is much easier and gives you total control. 

[EDIT:  The Penrice method is quicker too.]

1 minute ago, gnomus said:

It won't work without it that is for sure!  You can use the final images.  I made an RGB image and then aligned this to my Ha.  The tutorial on this page are extremely useful: http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorials.html  This one in particular talks about how to use Star Alignment - http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-preparing-monochrome-images-for-colour-combination-and-further-post-processing.html#Section1  He is using monochrome images but you can use your RGB and Ha images in the same way.  

As to combining them, I have not tried this in PI.  I use the "Penrice" method in PS because it is much easier and gives you total control. 

Thank you, think that will help me, I have been trying loads of different ways and Im now nearly bald! lol. will see what I can do with the links you sent. once again thank you.

Just now, simmo39 said:

Thank you, think that will help me, I have been trying loads of different ways and Im now nearly bald! lol. will see what I can do with the links you sent. once again thank you.

No problem.  That site will also give you a method for combining your Ha and RGB if you absolutely must use PI.  But you have to Align the images before you can Combine them - just as you have to do with your subs.  

Archived